ITS provides the ability to have a scanning repository set up for certain multifunction devices. This allows the device to scan directly to a special share that you can then get the files from.
Requesting a Share
When requesting a share we need the following information from you:
- The Hostname of the printer
- The Make and Model of the printer
- Who needs access to the share
NOTE: Not all multifunction devices can support scanning to a share. In order to do so securely, we require the device to support "scan to SFTP" or "scan to HTTPS", which are secure methods of scanning files over the network. Just because it has a scanner unfortunately does NOT mean that it can securely scan to a share. Please remember to contact ITS before purchasing a new device to verify that it meets these requirements, and you are able enable scanning if needed. All devices recommended by RIT as part of the Xerox Managed Print Project currently meet these requirements.
These shares are different from normal deparment shares. They are meant as a temporary holding location for files to be staged before being moved to a deparment share, or elsewhare. As such they have the following restrictions:
- All files older than 30 days will be deleted automatically from the share
- You can only remove files from the share
- The contents of these shares are NOT backed up
Accessing the Scan Repository from Windows
The scan repository can be accessed via the following method:
1. On your PC, press "Start" and type \\main\scans into the "Start Search" Box as shown below, and press "Enter"
2. Within the resulting Window, select the scan repository for the printer you wish to access. All printer names should be displayed on the printer themselves. These names will also match the "print" names used to print.
Accessing the Scan Repository from a Mac
The Scan Repository can be accessed via the following method
1. On your Mac, from the top toolbar, select GO -> Connect to Server
2. For the Server Address, type smb://main.ad.rit.edu/Scans and select Connect
3. In the resulting window, select the scan repository for the printer you wish to access. All printer names should be displayed on the printer themselves. These names will also match the "print" names used to print.
Pease keep in mind that these scan repositories are only temporary. Please move these documents to a more permanent location, and delete them from the scan repository. The scan repository will automatically delete docuements 30 days or older.
If you have any issues connecting to, or using, the scan repository, please contact the ITS Service Desk