Moves & Renovations Content
Moves & Renovations
Moves, Additions, and Changes to Your Service
The Work Request Triage (WRT) Form is used to request voice and data services at www.rit.edu/its/requests.
The WRT Form can be used for the following:
- New services - to install new voice and data lines
- Disconnect service - to remove existing phone numbers
- Moves - to relocate existing phone numbers
- Data jack- activate data jack for computer or printer service
- System changes - to change features, such as coverage, phone program buttons, etc.
- Renovations - to rearrange and/or enlarge space which affects walls where existing telephones, data outlets, and/or CATV outlets are located and new telephones, data outlets, and/or CATV outlets will be required. FMS Project Requests.
After submitting the request, please allow up to 1-2 weeks for processing and scheduling.
When filling out the WRT, area Telecommunications Coordinators can assist in supplying information such as dept account number and services offered.
The following are a few example of programming changes to phone lines.
Provide x5-2344 coverage to x5-6266 after three rings
Provide call forwarding for x5-7211
Provide a call pickup group for x5-5154, 5-5800, 5-2843
- When requesting Moves, Adds or Changes (telephones will be installed, relocated or removed), follow these examples:
Move x5-5800 from jack 99.A1.1624.15.A to jack 99.A1.1324.125A
- Install a new jack for a telephone in building 60, room 3234. Put the new jack on the wall closest to the doorway. A sketch/diagram is provided.
Those requesting service can first request a Cost Estimate. . A cost estimate of the work and time for the project will be provided by our staff, and no work will be done until verified by the customer.
Renovations & Projects
When any Institute group works with Facilities Management Services to enlarge or redesign a Campus space the process is referred to as a Renovation. The Telephone, Data and Cable TV (CATV) cabling and networks are part of the larger renovation process and should be given careful consideration during the design and implementation of building changes.
During Planning and Construction ITS Network Communications Services and Facilities Management Services will:
- Establish a Service Request and set up a consultation with you as the user to discuss intended renovation plans and any interim, temporary moves that might be necessary.
- Contract and supervise ITS Network Communications Services approved vendors to complete the cabling of Telephone, Data and CATV network connections.
- Plan and orchestrate the move day activities for temporary relocations and once the renovation is complete to ensure relatively seamless relocations with little or no interruption in your services.
We encourage you, the customer to:
- Start planning early to provide information on all personnel and services that will be affected by the renovation. The necessary information will include:
- Names and telephone numbers of all personnel
- Any additional telephone lines such as TTY and Fax numbers
- The number of active data jacks required for each person and for any network printers, etc.
- Keep track of all your telephone sets and equipment during the renovation as it will typically be reused.
Consultations with an ITS Network Communications Services staff member can be arranged at any time during the renovation planning process. By working together, ITS Network Communications Services, FMS and You the customer can ensure a successful project with little or no interruption to your work processes. In addition, careful planning can often reduce the overall cost of the project.
Home Contact View
Contact RIT Service Center
Mon - Thu: 7:30 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
Fri: 7:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Sat - Sun: Noon - 5:00 P.M.
In-Person support available Mon - Fri 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. (Available only when classes are in session)