Just as you would take precautions to lock your office or residence hall room, you need to make sure your computer is secure against intrusions and malicious programming. To assist with this, ITS offers the following products and information:
- Basic security tips that are good to follow, no matter what kind of computer or operating system you are using.
- A Security Checklist is available on the Information Security Office's form site to help you be sure that your Macintosh or Windows computer is secure.
- Resnet can assist students with securing their computers while they are connected to the RIT campus network.
- RIT Information Security Web site can provide more information about security, particularly for faculty and staff.
- Anti-virus Software (for personal machines)
Institute-owned machines should install this via ePO; see e-Policy OrchestratorNote: You must remove other Windows anti-virus software from your computer before installing the software RIT provides.
- Personal Firewall and Host/Network Intrusion Protection
- Spyware Monitoring and Removal Software (for personal machines)
- Spyware Monitoring and Removal Software (for RIT-owned machines)
- Anti-phishing Software (for personal machines)
- Anti-phishing Software (for RIT-owned machines)
- For system administrators, we have utilities to manage McAfee security software
- For RIT-owned laptops, Laptop Encryption is available to secure data on your laptop.
Apple OS X
Note: You must remove other Windows anti-virus software from your computer before installing the software RIT provides.