Patricia Iglesias Victoria
Patricia Iglesias Victoria is an assistant professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Previously, she served as an assistant professor at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf and as an associate professor at the Polytechnic University of Cartagena, Spain. She received her BSE in Mechanical Engineering and her Ph.D in Materials Science and Engineering from Polytechnic University of Cartagena. Dr. Iglesias completed a post doctoral stay at Purdue University (Indiana) where she worked on Large-Scale Manufacturing of Bulk Forms with Nanocrystalline Structures. Her career as an educator encompasses teaching and designing undergraduate (Materials Science, Manufacturing Processes, Welding Technology, Computer-aided Manufacturing, Statics, Strength of Materials and Thermal Fluids lab) and graduate courses (Advanced Materials for Industrial Applications, and Corrosion and Wear of Materials).
Her research focuses on wear and friction of materials, metallic and polymer matrix composites, nanostructured materials, and the use of ionic liquids and liquid crystals as lubricants or additive of lubricants. She maintains active collaborations with the research groups of Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering at the Polytechnic University of Cartagena (Spain) and Materials Processing and Tribology at Purdue University (Indiana). As a result of these collaborations, some of her articles have been published in important journals of her field of expertise, and her article entitled “1-N-alkyl-3 methykimidazolium ionic liquids as neat lubricant additives in steel-aluminum contacts” has been named one of the TOP TEN CITED articles published in the area in the last five years (2010). Dr. Iglesias is American Sign Language (ASL) proficient and since she started working at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, she is actively involved in the field of the Deaf access technology and education. Dr. Iglesias also strives to enhance undergraduate research experiences, particularly for underrepresented minority groups as Hispanic and deaf and hard of hearing students.
Dr. Iglesias’ current research plan is to utilize her experience in tribology and ionic liquids to develop new lubricants and surface treatments or coatings to improve the wear resistance of gearboxes and bearings of both land-based and off-shore wind turbines.
- Wear and friction of materials
- Nanostructured materials
- Polymer and metal matrix composites
- Ionic Liquids and Liquid Crystals as lubricants and additive of Lubricants
- Deaf and deaf blind access technology
- Iglesias, P., Jimenez, A. E., Bermudez, M. D., Rao, B. C., and Chandrasekar, S., 2013, "Steel Machining Chips as Reinforcements to Improve Sliding Wear Resistance of Metal Alloys: Study of a Model Zn-Based Alloy System," Tribology International, in press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.triboint.2013.03.004.
- Iglesias, P., Bermudez, M. D., Moscoso, W., and Chandrasekar, S., 2010, "Influence of Processing Parameters on Wear Resistance of Nanostructured OFHC Copper Manufactured by Large Strain Extrusion Machining," Wear, 268(1-2), pp. 178-184.
- Bermudez, M. D., Iglesias, P., Jimenez, A. E., and Martinez-Nicolas, G., 2009, "Influence of Sliding Frequency on Reciprocating Wear of Mold Steel with Different Microstructures," Wear, 267(11), pp. 1784-1790.
- Jimenez, A. E., Bermudez, M. D., and Iglesias, P., 2009, "Lubrication of Inconel 600 with Ionic Liquids at High Temperature," Tribology International, 42(11-12), pp. 1744-1751.
- Carrion, F. J., Martinez-Nicolas, G., Iglesias, P., Sanes, J., and Bermudez, M. D., 2009, "Liquid Crystals in Tribology," Journal of Molecular Science (International Edition), 10(9), pp. 4102-15.
- Bermudez, M.-D., Carrion, F.-J., Iglesias, P., Jimenez, A.-E., Gines, M.-N., and Sanes, J., 2008, "Ionic Liquids Interactions with Materials Surfaces Applications in Tribology and Nanotechnology," Proc. 2008 MRS Spring Meeting, March 24, 2008 - March 28, 2008, San Francisco, CA, United states, 1082, pp. 1-11.
- Iglesias, P., Bermudez, M. D., Moscoso, W., Rao, B. C., Shankar, M. R., and Chandrasekar, S., 2007, "Friction and Wear of Nanostructured Metals Created by Large Strain Extrusion Machining," Wear, 263, pp. 636-642.
- Iglesias, P., Bermudez, M. D., Carrion, F. J., Chandrasekar, S., and Compton, W. D., 2007, "A Study of the Wear Behavior of Polymer-Matrix Composites Containing Discontinuous Nanocrystalline Alloy Reinforcements," Tribology International, 40(3), pp. 479-489.
- Jimenez, A. E., Bermudez, M. D., Iglesias, P., Carrion, F. J., and Martinez-Nicolas, G., 2006, "1-N-Alkyl -3-Methylimidazolium Ionic Liquids as Neat Lubricants and Lubricant Additives in Steel-Aluminium Contacts," Wear, 260(7-8), pp. 766-782.