At Explore Your Future, you will:
- Gain hands-on experience in a variety of career areas, including art, business, computer science, engineering, health sciences, information technology, and science
- Learn more about what your interests are as you look toward a career
- Get a taste of life on a college campus
- Make new friends from all over the country
- Have fun!
EYF activities expose you to careers in:
- Computer Science
- Health Sciences
- Information Technology
In each of these areas, you receive hands-on experience aimed at increasing your knowledge of career choices. You learn about your interests and the skills required for success. And you develop an understanding of the academic preparation or training required in each of these fields.
You'll work with career counselors and faculty in small group settings to:
- Determine your interests and learning styles
- Develop decision-making skills
- Build confidence
- Develop personal awareness
- Develop leadership skills and independence
Role models at EYF
Deaf, hard-of-hearing, and hearing faculty and staff, and EYF orientation counselors serve as role models, introduce students to their first taste of life on a college campus, and provide support for students who may be away from home for the first time.
On the final day of each session, EYF offers a parent/guardian workshop where your parents or guardians can learn strategies that will help them help you make a successful transition from high school to college. They will also receive information and can ask questions about financial aid. At the end of EYF, parents or guardians can meet with your counselor and discuss your career awareness experiences. Parents, guardians, students, and Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) counselors receive reports that give feedback on your interests and learning styles. After the EYF experience, both you and your parents or guardians are better prepared to make decisions about life after high school.