Marijuana is made from the hemp plant. It can be smoked or eaten.
What Is the Process of Marijuana Addiction?
- Experimentation: The user is curious to try it and experiments with marijuana just for fun, with friends, to see what this drug does and what it is about.
- Situational Misuse: The user may take in marijuana to help deal with stress, like taking final exams, or meeting new people.
- Habitual Abuse: The user depends on the drug to get through the day and to deal with everyday situations.
- Addiction: The user must have marijuana, even though it causes problems.
How Do You Know If You Have a Problem Because of Marijuana?
- You often lose track of time
- You make a decision to cut back or stop, but are unable to
- You have problems remembering or focusing on things
- Your decision making process is affected
- Your mood fluctuates
Where Can You Get Help?
- Hospitals, health clinics, mental health centers, drug/alcohol centers
- Employee Assistance Programs (EAP)
- Clergy and family counselors
- NA (Narcotics Anonymous), AA (Alcoholics Anonymous), Alanon, Alateen, MA (Marijuana Anonymous)
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency (NCADD)
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment
- SAISD (Substance and Alcohol Intervention Services for the Deaf)
Attachment: RRMarijuana.pdf (519.8 KB). Marijuana Abuse. National Institute on Drug Abuse Research Report Series.