Frequently Asked Questions
How do I share information about this camp?
Click right here to get the flyer. Thank you for sharing!
What is TechBoyz?
TechBoyz is a week-long summer camp for deaf and hard-of-hearing boys who are interested in science, technology, engineering, and math and will be entering 7th, 8th or 9th grade in Fall 2019.
Who is eligible to attend?
You are eligible if:
- you are a male entering 7th, 8th or 9th grade in fall 2019.
- you are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
If you have previously attended TechBoyz camp, you are not eligible to attend again.
What happens at TechBoyz?
Each day, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., you have fun with hands-on activities in a group of 40-55 other students and an instructor. You will:
- enjoy activities involving chemistry, math, engineering and science
- build a high-tech gadget, learn the basics of web design, conduct experiments in a state-of-the-art lab and more
- discover what types of careers you may be interested in
After spending the day with other TechBoyz in labs, classrooms and other hands-on activities, in the late afternoon and evening, you can participate in supervised group social activities such as:
- going to Seabreeze (local amusement park)
All the activities are well supervised and allow you to experience TechBoyz to the fullest!
What are the dates for this summer’s session?
July 20 – 25, 2019.
What does the program cost?
- The cost is $700, which covers room, board, and all activities-everything but spending money and transportation to and from our campus.
- You can pay by check or credit card (VISA and MasterCard).
Is there any financial aid available?
- There are limited partial scholarships available based on your financial need. If you would like to apply for one, please make sure to complete the Financial Assistance form.
When will I know I am officially registered?
Where will I stay? Where will I eat?
- You and a roommate will share a room on campus in one of the residence halls. This is a great way to get a taste of college living!
- The dining hall is on campus, and there are vending machines and other places on campus to grab a snack if you get hungry between meals.
When is arrival and check in?
- Arrive at the CSD Student Development Center (SDC), Building 55, first floor lobby area on the RIT campus between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm on the Saturday that the program starts. You can check in there.
- If your parents are coming and plan to stay in Rochester, here is a list of hotels and a list of sights to see.
When does the program end and when is check out?
- The program ends on July 25, 2019 at 10:00 a.m., the last day of your session.
- You will need to check out of the residence hall and return your room key before you leave.
What happens on the last day of the program?
- Parents get information about how to help you prepare for college and choose the right courses in high school.
- Parents learn what colleges currently expect from high school graduates.
- TechBoyz participants present the results of their activities.
How about transportation to the program?
- You and your family are responsible for arranging transportation to and from the program.
- If you are flying, we recommend that you fly into the Greater Rochester International Airport (ROC), not to the airport in Buffalo. Why? Even though the flight to Buffalo may cost less, Buffalo is at least an hour away, and the ground transportation from there to Rochester actually makes the trip more expensive.
- From the Rochester airport, train or bus station, shuttle transportation is available directly to RIT for $20.00 each way. Let us know if you want shuttle transportation, and we will make reservations for you.
How do I get there?
See the directions page to our campus.
What kind of supervision is there for TechBoyz campers?
- TechBoyz activities are conducted by a team of counselors and RIT/NTID faculty and staff.
- During their time on campus, the boys are supervised and always accompanied by TechBoyz counselors.