Frequently Asked Questions
What is TechGirlz?
TechGirlz is a week-long summer camp for deaf and hard-of-hearing girls who are interested in science, technology, engineering, and math and will be entering 7th, 8th or 9th grade in Fall 2015.
Who is eligible to attend?
You are eligible if:
- you are a female entering 7th, 8th or 9th grade in fall 2015.
- you are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
If you have previously attended TechGirlz camp, you are not eligible to attend again.
What happens at TechGirlz?
- enjoy activities involving chemistry, math, engineering and science
- build a high-tech gadget, learn the basics of web design, conduct experiments in a state-of-the-art lab and more
- discover what types of careers you may be interested in
- going to Seabreeze (local amusement park)
What are the dates for this summer’s session?
Saturday, July 25, 2015-Thursday, July 30, 2015.
What does the program cost?
- The cost is $700, which covers room, board, and all activities-everything but spending money and transportation to and from our campus.
- You can pay by check or credit card (VISA and MasterCard).
Is there any financial aid available?
- There are limited partial scholarships available based on your financial need. If you would like to apply for one, please make sure to complete the Financial Assistance form.
How do I register?
When will I know I am officially registered?
Where will I stay? Where will I eat?
- You and a roommate will share a room on campus in one of the residence halls. This is a great way to get a taste of college living!
- The dining hall is on campus, and there are vending machines and other places on campus to grab a snack if you get hungry between meals.
When is arrival and check in?
- Arrive at the CSD Student Development Center (SDC), Building 55, first floor lobby area on the RIT campus between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm on the Saturday that the program starts. You can check in there.
- If your parents are coming and plan to stay in Rochester, here is a list of hotels and a list of sights to see.
When does the program end and when is check out?
- The program ends on Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 10:00 a.m., the last day of your session.
- You will need to check out of the residence hall and return your room key before you leave.
What happens on the last day of the program?
- Parents get information about how to help you prepare for college and choose the right courses in high school.
- Parents learn what colleges currently expect from high school graduates.
- TechGirlz participants present the results of their activities.
How about transportation to the program?
- You and your family are responsible for arranging transportation to and from the program.
- If you are flying, we recommend that you fly into the Greater Rochester International Airport (ROC), not to the airport in Buffalo. Why? Even though the flight to Buffalo may cost less, Buffalo is at least an hour away, and the ground transportation from there to Rochester actually makes the trip more expensive.
- From the Rochester airport, train or bus station, shuttle transportation is available directly to RIT for $20.00 each way. Let us know if you want shuttle transportation, and we will make reservations for you.
How do I get there?
See the directions page to our campus.
What kind of supervision is there for TechGirlz campers?
- TechGirlz activities are conducted by an all-female team of counselors and RIT/NTID faculty and staff.
- During their time on campus, the girls are supervised and always accompanied by these female members of the TechGirlz staff.