College of Engineering Technology History
1885 The Mechanics Institute is established.
1893 The department of domestic science is established.
Cooking classes begin with the courses consisting of 26 lessons in practical cookery.
1920 The School of Home Economics begins.
1942 The department of food administration is established.
1952 “Henry’s Room,” a student-run restaurant and teaching lab is established in downtown Rochester. The restaurant is later renamed “Henry’s” when the institute moves to its new campus in Henrietta.
1963 The Computer Center is established.
1966 Enrollment in applied science totals 815 students. Enrollment in food administration reaches 62 students.>
Tuition for electrical or mechanical programs is $1,270; for food administration program, $790.
Graduation requirements include the completion of a program with no failing grades and a cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
1967 Enrollment in applied science is 871; in food administration, 84.
George Brown promoted to electrical associate professor. Douglas Marshall promoted to mechanical associate professor. Muhamed Razack was promoted to electrical assistant professor.
“Frosh Daze” was initiated as a “Welcome to Freshman Parents.”
1968 The College of Applied Science now has 14 laboratories.
Two four-year programs are offered in the department of food administration: food management and hospital dietetics.
1969 Tuition for applied science program is $1,775; for food administration, $1,700.
Bhalchandra Karlekar promoted to mechanical associate professor.
1970 ROTC begins at RIT.
1972 School of Computer Science and Technology is established.
Civil engineering technology program is developed as an upper-division curriculum.
1973 The Institute College was established with five departments under the Dean Roy I. Satre, Jr. including the newly created department of packaging science.
1974 Department of food administration, hotel, tourist industries management begins.
1979 Enrollment for Institute College is at 1,480.
Dr. Clinton J. Wallington is chairman of the department of instructional technology.
1980 Department of career and human resources development is established.
Dr. Roy Satre is promoted to RIT’s vice president of Academic Affairs and has appointed Dr. Dennis C. Nystrom as dean of Institute College.
Dr. Donald Baker was named chairman of Career and Human Resources Development.
John F. Adams has been named acting director of the School of Engineering Technology by Dr. Roy I. Satre.
1981 Institute College is renamed College of Applied Science and Technology.
The college is made up of five departments including computer science, engineering technology, packaging science, instructional technology, and career and human resources.
1981 Wiley McKinzie named associate dean of the College of Applied Science and Technology.
The college adds two new programs: drafting technology and health services management; and one new division: energy education and training, to develop education success for the energy industry.
1982 Career and human resources is combined with instructional technology, headed by Dr. Clinton Wallington.
Dr. Dennis C. Nystrom appoints Dr. Donald Baker as associate dean of the college.
Wiley McKinzie appointed director of the School of Computer Science and Technology.
1983 Donald D. Baker is named dean of College of Applied Science and Technology.
The College of Applied Science and Technology emerges as the largest of RIT’s colleges.
Enrollment increases 32% from 1932 to in 1982.
School of Food, Hotel, and Tourism Management was added from the College of Business.
Departments in the college now include six, with computer technology and tourism management added.
Henry’s is renamed The Henry Lomb Room.
1984 William J. Stratton is promoted to associate dean of the college.
Full-time enrollment reaches 2,000 students.
1988 Wiley McKinzie is appointed dean of the college.
1989 The telecommunications engineering technology program is established. It is the first bachelor of science degree program in the U.S. accredited by the Technology Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology.
1997 The College of Continuing Education is added to the college and is housed in the Center for Multidisciplinary Studies.
The American College of Management and Technology is established.
The ACMT began classes in Croatia in hotel and resort management.
A master’s degree is established in environment, health, and safety management.
2001 The B. Thomas Golisano College of Computing and Information Science is established. The new college includes programs in computer science, information technology, and software engineering.
2018 The college is renamed College of Engineering Technology.