- About Us
- For Companies
- Research Highlights
- Research Magazine
- Labs & Centers
- Access Conference
- Call For Papers
- Innovative Access Technology Product Competition
- Photo Gallery
About the Conference
Accessibility is the idea of making things accessible to all people no matter what their abilities. How do we do this? One way is by developing innovative technologies that provide greater access, break down barriers, and create new opportunities.
There is a wide range of technologies on the market or in development to help people— whether they are chronically ill patients, aging seniors, veterans, deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals, people who are blind and visually impaired, or individuals with physical or cognitive challenges.
Some examples of technology applications that enhance access that have been developed:
- Add-on kits that provide better braking or wheelchairs
- Computer-based roleplaying for children with autism
- A mobile stander for children with cerebral palsy
- An Internet-based monitoring system for seniors to help manage medications and doctor appointments
- A navigation device to help the blind and hearing impaired
Rochester Institute of Technology is just one of the many organizations seeking to provide accessibility through the development of technology. RIT faculty and student researchers want to share their work and meet others who are developing technology as well as service providers, end users and other stakeholders.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The goal of the conference is to bring together innovators, researchers, service and health care providers, technology developers, and end users to share their innovative ideas, products and needs.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Hear from expert panelists discussing current issues and needs that technology may address.
- See technologies currently on the market and prototypes in development.
- Network with researchers, service and health care providers, vendors and developers
- Provide “voice of the customer” to researchers to improve their prototype designs
8:30 am – 9:00 am Registration, Networking, Continental Breakfast
9:00 am – 9:20 am Welcome Conference Chair and Leadership
9:30 am Posters and Exhibits Open*
9:30 am – 10:10 am Panel - Independent Living
10:30 am – 11:10 am Panel - Government Funding and Legislation
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch and Keynote
1:15 pm – 2:15 pm Innovative Access Tech Product Competition
2:30 pm – 3:10 pm Panel - Healthcare
3:30 pm – 4:10 pm Panel - Workplace Accommodations
4:30 pm – 5:00 pm Awards Ceremony and Closing Remarks
* Posters/exhibits will remain open throughout the day from 9:30am until 4:30pm, but attendees should be aware that some presenters may be away from their posters during lunch or to attend a panel of interest.
This Year's Sponsors
- Platinum Sponsors -
- Gold Sponsors -
- Silver Sponsors -
- Bronze Sponsors -
Please join us for the 4th Effective Access Technology conference on Friday, April 21, 2017 at the Gene Polisseni Center on the RIT campus.