This program is no longer accepting new student applications.
This advanced certificate combines both academic and pragmatic perspectives enabling students and practitioners to better understand the research and theory of digital media, to assist them in message creation, and to analyze dynamic new channels. It is aimed at students and working professionals in need of updating their education as well as communication skills to stay competitive in the workplace.
$1,129 per credit hour (2019-20)
12 credit hours required
A part time student could complete the program in one year.
- Account Executive
- Brand Officer
- Public Relations Manager
- Adjunct Faculty Instructor
- Global Programs Coordinator
- Marketing Communications Specialist
- Instructional Designer
- Prospect Researcher
- Communication Strategist
- Hill & Knowlton, Beijing, China
- Microsoft, Seattle WA
- Paige Group, Utica, NY
- Osprey Communication, Greenwich, CT
- British Petroleum, Azerbaijan
- LIVEperson (Timpani Sales & Marketing), NYC, NY
- National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID), Rochester, NY
- CGI Communications, Inc., Rochester, NY
- Terakeet Corporation, Syracuse, NY
- Ph.D. programs: Pennsylvania State University (Communication), State University of Buffalo, Rensselaer
- Eclaro International, NYC, NY
- Rochester Business Journal, Rochester, NY
- Blue Fountain Media, NYC, NY
- Paychex, Rochester, NY
- Map Point group, Microsoft, Seattle, WA
- 95% of RIT graduates enter the workforce or continue to go on for further education
- RIT alums hail from more than 147 countries and work for more than 3,723 employers
- Upon graduation, you’ll become a member of the 121,000-strong RIT alumni community
- We build programs based on real-time employer demand
- The same faculty that teach on-campus, teach online
- RIT faculty have extensive experience in the classroom, in research, and in their professional fields
- Our career specialists provide advisement to help you plan, prepare for, and meet your career goals
- We provide enriched personalized academic advising
- You receive the same RIT credential as traditional on-campus graduates
Applications may be submitted any time during the year. For priority consideration, please submit all application materials a minimum of 6 weeks prior to your intended start date.
To be considered for admission to the advanced certificate in communication and digital media program, candidates must complete the online application form and fulfill the following requirements:
- A baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university or college
- GPA of 3.0 or higher preferred
- Submit official transcripts (in English) of all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work.
- Submit a current resume and a personal statement describing the applicant's goals for the program, focusing on their professional interests
- Submit at least two letters of reference from academic advisors, major professors, and/or supervisors or managers
- A test of English Language aptitude is required of all applicants and course registrants whose native language is not English. RIT accepts TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE exams. Applicants are exempt from submitting the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE-Academic exams if they have worked or studied in the U.S. for the last two years or they are from countries and attended universities whose native language is English. These countries include: American Samoa, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British West Indies, Canada, England, Guam, Ireland, Mauritius, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa, Virgin Islands and Wales.
- Certain countries are subject to comprehensive embargoes under US Export Controls, which prohibit virtually ALL exports, imports and other transactions without a license or other US Government authorization. Learners from Syria, Sudan, North Korea, the Crimea region of the Ukraine, Iran and Cuba may not register for online courses at RIT. Nor may individuals on the United States Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the United States Commerce Department’s table of Deny Orders. By registering for online courses at RIT, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list.
- Request Information