This program is no longer accepting new student applications.
The advanced certificate in network planning and design provides the knowledge and expertise needed to seek careers that require foundation knowledge of enterprise network architectures and administration, emerging network technologies, the network design process, and project management. Students completing this certificate will be able to design and implement plans for sophisticated network design projects; understand and work with emerging technologies in networking and system administration; and develop, test, and implement a network model that simulates the performance of an enterprise scale network. The program consists of four courses, all of which may be applied to the MS in networking and system administration.
12 credit hours required
A full-time student could finish the program in 1 year, and a part-time student could complete the program in 2 years.
- System Administrator
- IT Technician
- Network System Administrator
- Network Technician
- Desktop Support Specialist
- 5LINX Technologies
- America Online
- Anheuser-Busch, Inc
- Atlantic Broadband
- Bausch & Lomb, Inc.
- Cisco Systems, Inc., LLC
- Con Edison (Consolidated Edison, Inc.)
- Eastman Kodak
- Fidelity Investments
- Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
- Global Crossing
- Hurricane Technologies
- Info Directions, Inc.
- Intel Corp
- M&T Bank
- National Security Agency
- Nationwide Insurance
- Network Performance
- Northrop Grumman Corp.
- One Communications
- PAETEC Communications, Inc.
- 95% of RIT graduates enter the workforce or continue to go on for further education
- RIT alums hail from more than 147 countries and work for more than 3,723 employers
- Upon graduation, you’ll become a member of the 121,000-strong RIT alumni community
- We build programs based on real-time employer demand
- The same faculty that teach on-campus, teach online
- RIT faculty have extensive experience in the classroom, in research, and in their professional fields
- We provide the same library services and resources, including a dedicated librarian, for online students
- Our career specialists provide advisement to help you plan, prepare for, and meet your career goals
- We provide enriched personalized academic advising
- You receive the same RIT credential as traditional on-campus graduates
Applications may be submitted any time during the year. For priority consideration, please submit all application materials a minimum of 6 weeks prior to your intended start date.
To be considered for admission to the advanced certificate in network planning and design program, candidates must complete the online application form and fulfill the following requirements:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with course work or extensive work experience in networking, systems administration, and programming in C++; experience in OS scripting (Perl preferred) is beneficial
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (B average or a first class degree from a foreign university)
- Submit official transcripts (in English) of all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work
- Submit a current resume, personal statement, and two letters of recommendation
- A year of object-oriented programming is expected
- A test of English Language aptitude is required of all applicants and course registrants whose native language is not English. RIT accepts TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE exams. Applicants are exempt from submitting the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE-Academic exams if they have worked or studied in the U.S. for the last two years or they are from countries and attended universities whose native language is English. These countries include: American Samoa, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British West Indies, Canada, England, Guam, Ireland, Mauritius, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa, Virgin Islands and Wales.
- Certain countries are subject to comprehensive embargoes under US Export Controls, which prohibit virtually ALL exports, imports and other transactions without a license or other US Government authorization. Learners from Syria, Sudan, North Korea, the Crimea region of the Ukraine, Iran and Cuba may not register for online courses at RIT. Nor may individuals on the United States Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the United States Commerce Department’s table of Deny Orders. By registering for online courses at RIT, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list.
While GRE scores are not required, they are strongly recommended for applicants seeking admission whose undergraduate GPA is less than required. Relevant work experience can also strengthen a candidate's application for admission.