RIT users continue to be targeted in a phishing attack that masquerades as important messages to employees. The links provided in the email messages closely resemble our myinfo page, but there are a couple of indications that you’ve gone to a spoofed page.
Recognizing the Real RIT myinfo Page
Legitimate Site Indications
In the Address Bar: look for the following (from the left):
- Internet Explorer: https://myinfo.rit.edu/, the remainder of the URL, and a padlock
- Google Chrome users: green padlock, green Secure | https://myinfo.rit.edu/, the remainder of the URL
- Firefox users: green padlock, https://myinfo.rit.edu/, the remainder of the URL
- Safari users: padlock, "https://myinfo.rit.edu/, the remainder of the URL
- Mobile users: padlock, https://myinfo.rit.edu/
Spoofed Site Indications
- If “myinfo.rit.edu” appears anywhere besides the left end of the URL, you are likely on a spoofed page.
- If the padlock appears anywhere besides the address bar or the top of your browser, you are likely on a spoofed page.
- If there is no padlock, you are on a spoofed page
If you believe you may have visited a spoofed myinfo.rit.edu page, contact the ITS Service Desk (5-4357) immediately.
What can I do to protect myself?
RID RIT of phishing attempts
- REPORT phishing attempts to firstname.lastname@example.org
- INSPECT your computer if you clicked on a suspicious link by running a virus scan. (Change your password if you provided it.)
- DELETE the phishing attempts
For more Information
- For more information about detecting Phishing, please visit the RIT Information Security Phishing page.
REMEMBER: RIT will NEVER ask for your password through e-mail.
Quick Infosec Tip: The RIT Information Security Office offers Digital Self Defense classes throughout the year. The next class is on April 12th. Visit https://www.rit.edu/fa/cpd/orientation/dsd/dsd101 to sign up.
Reminder: The RIT Information Security Policies and Standards are designed to help keep RIT and the RIT community safe from cybersecurity threats. <http://www.rit.edu/security/content/intro-policies-standards>