Oh what a year it has been! As Staff Council approaches a new cycle I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the accomplishments of the 2017-2018 year.
Some highlights include:
- This was a big year for RIT with welcoming a new President. Staff Council was present to help welcome Dr. Munson to campus in July, participated in his inauguration in September and hosted him at Executive Committee and Staff Council meetings throughout the year.
- We developed a customer service theme called “It Starts with Us.” We received over 350 responses to a survey we administered on customer service at RIT. We also developed a brown bag lunch series where leadership from Marketing and Communications and Facilities Management Services spoke about their areas. We are also exploring the possibility of introducing a customer service professional development series/track.
- Staff Council hosted 18 guest presenters and Executive Committee welcomed seven to our meetings this year.
- We collected feedback from our constituents on several proposed policy revisions and ultimately voted to endorse five including Policy C11 Freedom of Speech and Expression and Policy C13 Service or Assistance Animals.
- After several years of hard work, the revised Policy E30 Staff Grievance Procedure was endorsed by Staff Council, Student Government and Academic Senate. The revised policy will go to University Council in the fall and then hopefully to the President for final endorsement/approval.
- Staff Council, led by the Events Committee, hosted an RIT Food Share donation competition where over 25,000 pounds of food and $600 was collected.
- The Events Committee also oversaw the summer retreat for Staff Council, planned the Presidential Awards for Outstanding Staff reception, staffed tables at the Benefits Fair and the United Way Day of Caring kickoff event and organized the Staff Appreciation Day and Community Picnic.
- Increasing the social media presence of Staff Council was a major goal of the Communications Committee and it was a goal they met! They wrote 14 blog posts and saw steady increases in page likes and followers on Facebook and Twitter. By mid-May, the committee had made 193 Facebook posts! They also developed print and digital marketing materials including posters for the “It Starts with Us” customer service talks and a new postcard.
- The University Issues and Policies Committee led the work done on Policy E30 Staff Grievance Procedure. Work on this policy was an incredibly time consuming effort. They also researched and reviewed the Tobacco Restricted policy, the Leave of Absence policy, flex time/scheduling at the University and the Sick Bank policy.
- Ensuring our membership is fully staffed is the charge of the Elections Committee. They oversaw several mid-year elections, created a new onboarding procedure and oversaw the 2018-2019 election cycle. They will also ensure that the upcoming leadership elections run smoothly.
- Staff Council provides staff representation on 24 University wide committees.
- Staff Council helped initiate and endorse several other changes to various initiatives across campus.
Staff Council is comprised of staff members from across the University. They donate their time and energy to help advance staff causes to the RIT Administration and various departments on campus. This year’s members included:
Kira Barnes (Block Captain – Block 1), Megan Bastian, Jennifer Hinton, Becky Kiely, Donna Black, Jake Griffin (Vice Chair, Block Captain – Block 2), Katie Pastecki, Paul Smarsh (University Council), Michael Bice, Neveen Botros, Thomas Mix, Joanna Prescott (University Council, Block Captain – Block 3), Shawn Thomas, Vikki Hammond, Sharon Kompalla-Porter (Block Captain – Block 4), Dianne Simpson (Executive Committee), Phyllis Walker (University Council), Kari Young, Cathy Clarke (Communications Officer, Chair Communications Committee), Gina Coyne (Chair University Issues and Policies Committee, Block Captain – Block 5), Barbara Gasbarre, Jennifer Taylor, Wendy Wheeler (Executive Committee), Autumn Madden, Gail Quartieri (Executive Committee, Block Captain – Block 6), Kathleen Schreier Rudgers (Chair), Lindsay Vallone (Executive Committee, Chair Elections Committee), Anne Zachmeyer (Events Officer, Chair Events Committee)
We also had the opportunity to celebrate the 25 years of service our Coordinator, Peg Meyers, has given to RIT. It is not an exaggeration to say that we could not do this work without her. She is the backbone of Staff Council.
If you are interested in learning more about what Staff Council does, please visit these websites/social media accounts:
Next year Staff Council will celebrate its 25th year. I look forward to what Staff Council can accomplish in the next 25 years.