Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Relay For Life

Relay For Life

RIT comes together to help find a cure!

All of the love, support, and power of the Relay for Life community helps to make a difference in the lives of those with cancer every single day. On Saturday, April 8th and Sunday, April 9th, the RIT community gathered for the 12-hour event in the Gordon Field House.

We had the opportunity to catch up with Valeria Villa, a 5th year Industrial & Systems Engineering student, and one of two logistics delegates who worked alongside the logistics chair and VP of Relay in planning the event at RIT. Their task was to be in charge of handling registration for the event, the schedule, and to ensure that the event ran smoothly. Valeria talked about her family's personal connection with Relay for Life.

"My family has been affected by cancer since my grandfather passed away in Colombia, and two aunts and an uncle have survived cancer. "

She also discussed what has made her so passionate about Relay for Life and why she felt she needed to get involved.

"The first time I heard about Relay for Life, I thought it was a great event, yet I couldn't really understand what they meant by people staying up all night to fight for a cure. The first relay that I attended was at RIT with the RIT Habitat for Humanity team, and after that, I finally was able to understand the impact this event had in terms of the money that was fundraised for the American Cancer Society, to support research, and to someday find a cure. I was also able to see how many survivors attended the event and how the lives of their families changed because they won the battle. After that, I became incredibly passionate about Relay for Life, and this year, I decided to take it a step further and got involved with the planning of the event."

There are countless students and faculty members like Valeria who've experienced the impact of cancer in some way, but to know that events like this can instill hope in the lives of so many is what makes Relay for Life at RIT such a special event!

Last year, more than $87,000 was raised at the event. This year, we were able to raise over $80,000!

Don't forget to use #RITStudentLife to share your experiences with us!

Follow us on Twitter Follow Relay For Life on Twitter 

Eliza Austin
Digital Content Manager
Assessment, Technology, and Communications
Email:  esaatc@rit.edu

Kate McIndoe
Photographer/Videographer
Email:  kamatc@rit.edu​