Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Extending Your Stay in the United States

If you are not able to finish your degree program by the end date noted on your I-20 or DS 2019, you can request an extension of your program. The length of time allowed for an extension is based on the recommendation of your academic adviser. J-1 sponsored students may need additional approval from their sponsor prior to being able to extend their stay in the U.S.

Deadline for Extensions

An extension of your I-20 or DS-2019 must be completed before the end date of the document. If your I-20 or DS-2019 expires while you are still a student, you will be considered in violation of your status.

Application Instructions
  1. Student’s academic advisor completes Program Extension Form found in the ISS Forms section of our website.
  2. Academic adviser completes Program Extension Form indicating new term in which student will graduate.
  3. Form is submitted to International Student Services. Forms may be submitted online or faxed to 475-7419.
  4. After the application is processed, students are notified by email that the new I-20 or DS-2019 may be picked up from the ISS office.
J-1 Students or Scholars

If a J-1 exchange visitor must have an extension of stay to complete the program for which he or she was admitted to the US, a request for a program extension must be filed with his or her program sponsor prior to the expiration date on the DS-2019. Extension periods allowed vary depending on the category of exchange visitor.

J-1 students with a DS-2019 issued by Fulbright or similar non-RIT organization must request a program extension through their J-1 sponsor. 

Back To Top Arrow