- Keep your passport valid at all times.
- Consult your country’s consulate or embassy in the US to renew your passport. The advisors in ISS have a list of the embassy/consulate addresses and telephone numbers.
- Attend only the school you were authorized to attend as listed on your I-20.
- Register as a full time student (or be full-time certified/get full time equivalency) and complete a full course of study during the academic year. No more than the equivalent of one on-line class may count towards the "full time study" requirement.
- Request a program extension if you must remain in the US beyond the date indicated (in section 5) on your I-20 BEFORE your I-20 expires. Program Extension Forms are available in the ISS office or on the ISS web site under Forms and should be submitted 30 - 90 days prior to the expiration date of the Form I-20. to Submit the Program Extension Form early enough to allow the extension to be completed prior to the expiration date on the document.
- Complete the official immigration transfer process whenever changing educational institutions. You must submit an Acceptance letter and a Transfer Request form from your new school to ISS before we can transfer your SEVIS record to the new school. Once ISS has transferred your SEVIS record, your new university can issue an I-20 to you. Once you begin studying at the new school, you must report to the Designated School Official within 15 days of the program start date listed on the Form I-20.
- If you will continue from one educational level to another at RIT (e.g. Bachelor's to Master's), please use the Request for Change of Level I-20 Form on our website so that a new I-20 may be created for you.
- Limit employment on campus to no more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session.
- Refrain from all off-campus employment without prior authorization from an ISS advisor and/or USCIS.
- Receive permission from your academic advisor AND a Designated School Official at ISS BEFORE reducing your course load, withdrawing from classes or taking a leave of absence from RIT.
- Report any change of address directly to the RIT Student Information System (SIS) within 10 (ten) days of the move. ISS will then electronically notify USCIS of the change, via SEVIS.
- Forms &
- About Us