Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Transferring to RIT from Another University

F-1 Students

An F-1 student is eligible to transfer to RIT if he/she is in valid F-1 status at the time of transfer.There can be no more than a 5-month gap between schools from the last date of attendance, OR the last day of Optional Practical Training (OPT), whichever is later.The deadline for F-1 students to request a transfer is 60 days after the program completion date or OPT end date, whichever is later.

After being offered admission to RIT, speak with your advisor in the International Office of your current school. Bring your letter of admission to RIT with you as well as the RIT Transfer Form for New Undergraduate or New Graduate students. Your International Student Advisor will complete the form and follow the directions on the form for faxing or mailing it to the appropriate admissions office at RIT.

In consultation with the advisor at your international office, you will decide on a "release date" which your current school's international advisor will enter in to the SEVIS database. Be sure to discuss any interim travel or work plans you have with your international advisor as that will affect your transfer procedure. After the release date, RIT will be able to produce an I-20 for you. You will be required to show proof of funding before being issued a RIT I-20.

F-1 students will be issued a second transfer I-20 indicating that their transfer to RIT is complete once they report to RIT’s International Student Services Office.

J-1 Students

If you are a J-1 student at another university, or if you are a J-1 student currently RIT but on another sponsoring agency's DS-2019 you may be able to transfer to a RIT- issued DS-2019.

The exchange visitor who wishes to transfer to or from another institution or sponsoring agency must have his/her current program sponsor's permission. Permission to transfer is granted only if the transfer contributes to the realization of the exchange visitor's original purpose in coming to the U.S. Application for permission to transfer is made with Form DS-2019 from the new sponsor.

J-1 students who wish to transfer from their current program sponsor to RIT must consult with the International Student Advisers at both schools. Please note the following required steps to transfer a J-1 visa to RIT:

  1. request a J-1 transfer before the DS-2019 program end date.
  2. transfer by the program completion date or the end of the Academic Training period, whichever is later (not during the 30-day grace period following completion). 
  3. apply for a new visa with RIT’s DS-2019 if planning to travel abroad between programs  If a J-1 student remains in the U.S. between transferring between the completion of studies at one university and RIT and does not leave the country, a new J-1 visa stamp is not required.


Traveling Between Transferring Schools

Transfer students may travel and re-enter the U.S. any time between school programs. However, transfer students must re-enter with their RIT I-20 or DS-2019 and not the previous school's document.  F-1 and J-1 students must have valid visa stamps to re-enter the US.  F-1 students can use a valid visa stamp issued for their previous university as long as the SEVIS ID number remains the same.  If the J-1 student plans to re-enter the US following the transfer, the J-1 student must apply for a new J-1 visa with the new institution's DS-2019.  If the J-1 student remains in the U.S. between transfer institutions and does not leave the country, a new J-1 visa stamp is not required.

Back To Top Arrow