News and Deadlines
Student Insurance Options
- Student Health Insurance: RIT expects all students to have health insurance. If your student will use a family plan, please contact the company to determine what coverage your student has in Rochester (many companies have limited out-of-network coverage). RIT offers a robust student health insurance plan with an expansive provider network across the U.S. and out-of-network benefits.
- Student Dental Plan: The RIT Student Dental plan provides cost-effective dental care provided by network dentists at treatment locations in close proximity to RIT's campus.
- Personal Property Insurance: RIT offers a broad personal property insurance plan-which covers losses that homeowner’s insurance typically does not-that is very reasonably priced with low deductible options.
RIT Alum Awarded Prestigious Fulbright
Recent RIT alum, Lauren Peace (’17), has received a prestigious Fulbright U.S. Student Award for the 2018-19 academic year where she will conduct a nine-month journalistic research project in Kosovo to produce series of generational multimedia stories on Kosovar women who have acted as catalysts for social and political change. Lauren was inspired to pursue this project after participating in the RIT Kosovo Peace and Conflict Summer study abroad program. You can read more about Lauren and her research on the University News website.
Recipients of the Fulbright U.S. Student Award are selected based on their academic and professional achievement as well as leadership potential in their respective fields. The award is funded by the U.S. government to study for a master’s degree, do independent research or teach English in a participating country outside the U.S. for one year. RIT students and alumni can apply for a Fulbright Fellowship through the RIT Education Abroad & International Fellowships office where they receive individual advising by RIT’s trained Fulbright adviser.
Parents of Returning Students
Just because your student is returning, it doesn’t mean there won’t be new RIT experiences this year! Here are a few tips and things to remind your student about as they prepare to return to RIT:
- Housing: If your student is returning to RIT housing, be sure they know how big their space is and if their apartment is furnished or not. This information, including room dimensions, can be found on the Housing Operations website.
- Dining: Will their dining plan work with their new apartment location and class schedule? Remember, students only have through the first week of classes to change their dining plans. Check out the Upperclassman plans and Commuter plans.
- Fall Career Fair: Many upperclassmen students will be searching for a co-op; make sure they pack their professional clothing for the Fall Career Fair, which will be held on October 3. The Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education has many other services for students, including career counseling, job search prep, and co-op support.
- Academic Support Center: It’s not unusual for academic challenges to pop up later in a student’s career. The Academic Support Center (ASC) is a great place for students to start when they need support. Services include math and physics support, study strategies courses, and one-on-one academic coaching.
- Wellness Courses: RIT students are required to take two wellness courses before they graduate. Students have many wellness course options, including seminars on topics such as finances and stress management, dance, fitness, outdoor education, and more. These courses are a great opportunity to learn about many aspects of wellness while having some fun!
Save the Date! Brick City Weekend
Brick City Homecoming and Family Weekend is on October 19-21, 2018. Along with annual favorite events (Men’s and Women’s Hockey, SG Distinguished Speaker, and the Brick City 5k), the Parent & Family Programs office is excited to again offer the Taste of Rochester-a local food and beverage tasting event, Sunday Breakfast Bites, and No Voice Zone-an opportunity for you to learn ASL (American Sign Language). Continue to watch the newsletter for more information on the schedule and registration, and save the date!