Employer Guide to Supervising Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders (PDF) You may encounter students on the autims spectrum when recruiting and hiring RIT students for your organization. This guide will help you work effectively with these students as candidates and employees. Objectives include: 1) Understanding the characteristics of ASD 2) Understanding the benefits of hiring individuals with ASD 3) What can you do as a manager, interviewer, co-worker, or recruiter 4) Resources for further reading
DisabilityIn Autism At Work Roundtable is a community of leading employers who have been running autism focused hiring initiatives for at least 1 year and are willing to share their first-hand experiences and provide guidance on starting an autism hiring initiative. Access the AUTISM AT WORK PLAYBOOK
EARN Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability and Inclusion: Tools and strategies for building a more neurodiverse workplace. Includes information about what to consider when developing job descriptions and interviewing as well as considerations for work spaces, work schedules and workplace accommodations.
INTEGRATE Autism Employment Advisors: Helping organizations identify, recruit, and retain qualified professionals on the autism spectrum
U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) provides resources for employers, service providers, transition-age youth, adults, and policymakers.
Learn about Microsoft's Inclusion Journey
Job Accommodation Network: The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is the leading source of free, expert, and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues. Accommodation Ideas for Autism Spectrum Disorders
Hiring on the Spectrum
Neurodiverse Hiring Initiative (NHI)
An innovative initiative and partnership between RIT Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services and the Spectrum Support Program that will help connect employers and job seekers on the autism spectrum. Find out more
Job Seeker Resources
Asperger’s Syndrome Workplace Survival Guide: A Neurotypical’s Secrets for Success
The Complete Guide to Getting A Job for People with Asperger’s Syndrome
Helping Adult with Asperger’s Syndrome Get & Stay Hired
Other Resources for Job Seekers on the Autism Spectrum
- Auticon is an international IT service provider who exclusively employs people on the autism spectrum as Technology consultants. Learn about the recrutiment process and open positions here
- Autism At Work Job Marketplace: Find job openings from a collection of innovative leaders who have been running autism-focused hiring initiatives for at least one year.
- Autism hiring program at Microsoft
Microsoft has made a commitment to hiring qualified candidates for full-time, permanent positions in engineering, data science, and data analyst. Interested candidates can submit their resumes to email@example.com and read more about the program here.
- Specialisterne works to enable jobs for high functioning people with autism, and similar challenges, through social entrepreneurship, innovative employment models, and a national change in mindset. Those wishing to enter Specialisterne’s recruitment process and be referred to potential employers should fill out a survey available here.
- Spectrum Careers is a resource connecting job seekers on the Autism Spectrum with inclusive employers. Job seekers can log in to view over 15,000 job postings, and get instructions on how to show off their skills using a video resume. Traditional resumes are also accepted.
- ULTRA Testing is a technology company that provides high quality, highly responsive software testing services through exceptional teams that include individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome and similar Autism Spectrum profiles. Software testing experience is not required, but a strong interest in technology and familiarity with different types of software is necessary. Long-term and eventual full-time employment is possible, and strong consideration is given to applicants who are actively seeking a long-term position. The recruitment process takes approximately eleven weeks, beginning with the completion of an online questionnaire and submission of an essay and resume/resume alternative. Instructions for these initial application steps are available on the online questionnaire.
- Platinum Bay is a software company committed to developing high quality, competitively-priced, custom business software solutions and provide world-class technology leadership for our customers while providing safe and rewarding careers for Autistic employees through our supportive workplace. Candidates on the Autism Spectrum are encouraged to apply for technical, project management, or customer service roles, and flexible schedules and telecommuting are encouraged for employees. Information about available positions here.
- The SourceAbled program is designed to provide uniquely-abled job seekers with rewarding and meaningful careers. At the heart of SourceAbled is a collaborative program driven by partnerships. It provides job coaching and job-readiness training while qualifying candidates for jobs matching their unique skills and abilities. Program partners conduct workplace assessments while raising awareness and providing consultation and training on disability inclusion. Register as a Job Seeker
- AbilityJobs.com hosts a job board where 100% of posted jobs are from employers specifically seeking to hire people with disabilities. AbilityJobfair.org hosts an online video career fair where candidates can meet face-to-face with recruiters for corporations, governments and non-profits. When you attend the Online Career Fair, you can choose the option to talk to a recruiter with an ASL Interpreter or real-time speech-to-text captioning.
- Dealing with Disclosure To Tell or Not To Tell: Issues of Disclosure in the Workplace ; Adults with ASD: Deciding When to Disclose