Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Alcohol and Other Drug Emergencies

What should I do if a friend had too much to drink or may have overdosed on drugs?

Call 911. Alcohol poisoning and drug overdoses can kill. If a friend has been drinking, especially a large amount over a short period of time, has hurt him or herself while drinking or has been taking drugs, look for these signs of possible alcohol poisoning/drug overdose:

  • Confusion, inability to stay awake or respond to shouting and shaking
  • Changes in behavior
  • Pale, cold or bluish skin
  • Passing out
  • Vomiting
  • Irregular or slow breathing


Don't leave him or her to "sleep it off"

  • Call 911 or Public Safety (585) 475-3333 immediately-you could save a life
  • Try to wake the person
  • Stay with the person-don't leave him or her alone
  • Try to roll the person onto his or her side-don't leave the person lying on his/her back-he/she could vomit and choke