- (Certificate Programs are NOT required to submit a concept paper but must follow all other RIT and NYSED requirements.) Review Stages in Curriculum Review Process, Undergraduate Curriculum Review Flowchart for new certificate proposals, or Graduate Curriculum Review Flowchart for new Advanced Certificate proposals.
Certificate & Advanced Certificate Program Proposals
- Review guidance from New York State Education Department on Certificates and Advanced Certificate Program Proposals and Certificate Eligibility for New York State Financial Aid
Proposers of Certificate and Advance Certificate Proposals should follow these steps for RIT review:
1. The NYSED Expedited Application Form for Registration of a New Certificate or Advanced Certificate contains six (6) separate task areas:
- Task 1: Institution and Program Information
- Task 2: Application for Registration of a New Program
- Task 3: Sample Program Schedule
- Please provide the catalog descriptions for existing courses in Task 3 c.
- Please provide syllabi for all new courses in Task 3 d.
- Task 4: Faculty
- Task 5: Financial
- Task 6: Distance Education
2. Complete the six (6) task areas of the NYSED Expedited Proposal Application Form. This is the only form needed and should be used for review by department, college, ICC/Grad Council review bodies.
3. For Task #1 complete Section I and II only, do NOT complete contact information.
4. Save the completed task area documents on your computer as Word Documents.
5. Print each completed task area to form the application document.
6. This is the document that you will use for RIT internal review.
7. When the proposal has been approved by ICC/Grad Council and Academic Senate, please follow the Registration with NYSED steps in # 4 below.
- Following approval by Academic Senate, e-mail the completed documents, (Task Areas 1-6) to the Office of the Sr. Associate Provost in care of Charlene Reagan, email@example.com, AND Karel Shapiro, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Office of the Senior Associate Provost will review your documents, and will advise if any additional information in the Task Areas is required.
- Once ready for submission, The Office of the Senior Associate Provost will obtain the necessary signatures and Provost approval and submit the Expedited Application for Registration of a New Certificate or Advanced Certificate Program to NYSED for processing and registration.
- The Office of the Senior Associate Provost will advise the initiator of the Proposal once it has been submitted to NYSED and once approval from NYSED is confirmed.
NOTE: The proposed program may NOT be advertised or admit students until approval has been granted and formal authorization received from NYSED.