Position Type: Student Services, Special Education/C-Print Captionist
To Be Determined
This is a Part Time and possibly Full Time position.
Newton public schools
Department: Speech and Language/Special Education/Student Services
Job Title: C-print captionist FLSA Status:
general description (1-3 lines describing role):
- The C-Print captionist’s primary responsibility is the provision of direct real-time transcription in the classroom and the rapid provision of the hard copy text to students. The captionist reports to the Coordinator of the Speech/Language and Hearing Services.
High school diploma
Minimum one year experience
Excellent oral and written communication skills
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES (not limited to):
Provide real-time transcription/note-taking in classroom.
Use student feedback, assess effectiveness, and adjust i accordingly.
Develop rapport with consumers and facilitate resolution of support service concern
Provide information to faculty, staff, and students regarding the real-time speech-to-print service.
• typing speed of 60 words per minute or higher
• knowledge/abilities in phonetics
• excellent English and listening skills
• ability to understand and summarize information while typing
• ability to handle pressure of using transcription system in classroom setting
• computer and word processing knowledge
Other duties as needed
Work Environment & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Perform essential duties in the classroom
Must be able to sit for extended periods of time working on a computer or equipment
Newton Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Newton Public Schools ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other class as protected by law. The Newton Public Schools places a high value on diversity and active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and staff. Any individual needing assistance in making application for any opening should contact the district human resources office.