Western Technical College is a preferred employer in the 7 Rivers Region. We are looking for individuals who are passionate about helping others learn and are dedicated to serving students. If you are a motivated individual who can contribute to excellence in teaching and learning, please consider this employment opportunity at Western. Western is committed to providing a safe and respectful workplace for all employees.
Summary of Position: Reports to and collaborates with the Manager of Access and Language Services to provide a variety of accommodations to students with disabilities, including providing interpreting & captioning services for deaf and hard of hearing students in classroom and other school related settings.
1. Maintain and uphold the College values of Learning, Excellence, Accountability, Diversity, Student Success, Teamwork, Integrity, and Respect. Regular attendance is required.
2. Perform office function's which may include, but are not limited to: respond to internal/external customers and staff; create and modify documents, records, and reports using College standard software; maintain hard copy and/or electronic filing system; monitor inventory and budget information; schedule, coordinate, and prepare materials for meetings and/or appointments.
3. Student Support - Supporting Action/Task May Include:
Provide real-time C-print captioning services for deaf and hard of hearing students and employees
Edit transcripts and distribute electronic copies to students
Prepare for classroom activities by reviewing textbooks and vocabulary lists to develop dictionary entries for unique classroom vocabulary.
Maintain C-print dictionaries
Assist in adapting and/or securing instructional materials to meet the needs of deaf and hard of hearing students
Proctor exams for students who request testing accommodations
Tutor or take notes for deaf or hard of hearing students.
Provide information to faculty, staff, and students regarding the real-time speech-to-print service, communication between deaf and hearing people, and support service resources
Understand and follow the captioners code of ethics
4. Program Coordination - Supporting Action/Task May Include:
Support the Manager of Access and Language Services and assist in coordination of hiring student notetakers
Serve as a liaison between faculty and staff and the deaf and hard of hearing student
Communicate and network with the Manager of Access and Language Services and support team members to support student goals and the provision of quality services for students with disabilities.
Provide in-service training, workshops, community awareness activities, and other professional development opportunities as needed.
5. Complete all required College training and responsible for maintaining the skills necessary to complete the essential functions of the position as defined by the department. Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education Requirements:
Associate degree required
Bachelor degree preferred
Must Hold Certification in C-print captioning and/or CART
Typing speed of 60 words per minute or higher
Knowledge/abilities in phonetics
Excellent English and listening skills
Special Instructions/About Western: