This scholarship type is awarded to high school seniors who will soon graduate or obtain an equivalent certificate. Competition for these scholarships is keen, as over 6000 students from across the country compete for them. Scholarships pay for full tuition and mandatory fees, for both resident and non-resident students. High School scholarship winners attending the Rochester Institute of Technology will also receive free room and board. Additionally, awardees receive a book allowance and a monthly tax-free stipend to defray the cost of living.
There are two types of high school scholarships: 4-year and 3-year Advanced Designee. 3-year Advanced Designee scholarship winners must satisfactorily participate in Army ROTC their freshmen year in order for their 3-year scholarship to take effect at the beginning of their sophomore year.
Interested applicants will need to go here and create an account.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be at least 17 years of age by October of the semester you are entering college
- Must not reach 31 years of age by June 30 of the year you will graduate from college
- If you are taking or have taken college courses you must be considered a freshman and have four academic years remaining for a baccalaureate degree upon enrollment
- Have a minimum high school GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Satisfactorily explain any record of arrest and/or civil conviction
- Have no moral or personal conviction against bearing arms, or supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States
- Those applicants advancing to further scholarship consideration are scheduled for a medical examination and a personal interview.
This interview may be conducted by telephone or in person depending on the distance involved. Any travel to and from the interview is at your own expense.
Individuals selected for an interview will be contacted and scheduled for a medical examination by the Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board (DODMERB). Your medical condition is not a consideration in the selection of winners; however, all winners must be medically qualified and enrolled to receive scholarship benefits. Travel to and from the examination is at your own expense.
If you are selected for a ROTC Scholarship, you are required to:
- Sign a contract with the Secretary of the Army.
- Attend a 5-week Leadership Development and Assessment Course between your Junior and Senior Year.
- Accept a Commission to serve on Army active duty, National Guard, or Army Reserves upon degree completion.
- Serve in the military for a period of 8 years. This may be fulfilled by:
- Serving active duty, if selected, for 4 years followed by 4 years of service in the Inactive Ready Reserve(IRR)/National Guard/Army Reserves. You may elect to serve 8 years or longer on active duty, but only the first 4 are required. Terms of obligation begin at the time of commissioning.
- Serve 8 years in the National Guard/Army Reserves, which includes a 3-6 month active duty term for initial training. Terms of obligation begin at time of commissioning.