The Carbon Conductors & Advanced Battery Group, led by Professor Brian Landi of Chemical Engineering, develops methods for synthesis and refinement of carbon nanotubes for use in lithium ion batteries, wires, and other devices in addition to other nanoparticle based technologies.
- US Government
- Air Force Research Laboratories (AFRL)
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
About Dr. Brian Landi
Dr. Landi is currently a Professor of Chemical Engineering, Energy Domain Lead for Ph.D. Engineering, and graduate faculty of Sustainability and Microsystems Engineering at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). Dr. Landi has been Group Leader of the Carbon Conductors & Advanced Battery Group at the NanoPower Research Laboratories (NPRL) as part of RIT’s Golisano Institute for Sustainability since 2009. Dr. Landi has recently led pioneering research on advanced Carbon Nanotubes (CNT) wires, lithium ion batteries, coaxial cables, and solar cell contacts. Dr. Landi’s research efforts during the last 5 years have translated into more than $13.6M of sponsored research with ~$8M as Principal investigator (PI) of 19 different programs from corporate and government sponsors and ~$5M as Co-PI on 9 programs. Over the last 5 years, he has supported 34 undergraduate, 8 graduate, and 6 postdoctoral fellows. In total, he is the co-author of more than 100 publications; with more than 50 during the last 5 years.
Dr. Landi received his Bachelors and Master’s degree in Chemistry from the Rochester Institute of Technology. He completed his PhD in Microsystems Engineering
- Rossi, J.E., Cress, C.D., Merrill, A., Soule, K.J., Cox, N.D., Landi, B.J. “Intrinsic diameter dependent degradation of single-wall carbon nanotubes from ion irradiation.” Carbon, 2015, 81, 488-496.
- Zeidell, A.M., Cox, N.D., Huston, S.M., Rossi, J.E., Landi, B.J., Conrad, B.R. “Cyclopentadienyliron dicarbonyl dimer carbon nanotube synthesis.” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B, 2015, 33 (1), 011204. Figure image selected for the cover art.
- Bucossi, A.R.; Cress, C.D.; Schauerman, C.M.; Rossi, J.E.; Puchades, I.; Landi, B.J. "Enhanced Electrical Conductivity in Extruded Single-Wall Carbon Nanotube Wires from Modified Coagulation Parameters and Mechanical Processing." ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2015, 7 (49), pp 27299–27305
- Merrill, A., Cress, C.D., Rossi, J.E., Cox, N.D., Landi, B.J. “Threshold displacement energies in graphene and single-walled carbon nanotubes” Physical Review B 92, 2015 (7), 075404.
- Landi, B.J., Rogers, R.E., Forney, M.W., Ganter, M.J. “Lithium‐Ion Batteries Based on Carbon Nanomaterials.” Carbon Nanomaterials for Advanced Energy Systems: Advances in Materials Synthesis and Device Applications, 2015, 339-364.
- Puchades, I., Lawlor, C.C., Schauerman, C.M., Bucossi, A.R., Rossi, J.E., Cox, N.D., Landi, B.J. “Mechanism of chemical doping in electronic-type-separated single wall carbon nanotubes towards high electrical conductivity.” Journal of Materials Chemistry C 3, 2015, (39), 10256-10266.
- Zeidell, A.M., Cox, N.D., Huston, S.M., Rossi, J.E., Landi, B.J., Conrad, B.R. “Cyclopentadienyliron dicarbonyl dimer carbon nanotube synthesis.” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B 33, 2015, (1), 011204.
- Schauerman, C.M., Alvarenga, J., Staub, J., Forney, M.W., Foringer, R., Landi, B.J.“Ultrasonic Welding of Bulk Carbon Nanotube Conductors.” Advanced Engineering Materials 17, 2015, (1), 76-83.