The Carbon Conductors & Advanced Battery Group, led by Professor Brian Landi of Chemical Engineering, develops methods for synthesis and refinement of carbon nanotubes for use in lithium ion batteries, wires, and other devices in addition to other nanoparticle based technologies.
- US Government
- Air Force Research Laboratories (AFRL)
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
About Dr. Brian Landi
Dr. Landi is currently a Professor of Chemical Engineering, Energy Domain Lead for Ph.D. Engineering, and graduate faculty of Sustainability and Microsystems Engineering at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). Dr. Landi has been Group Leader of the Carbon Conductors & Advanced Battery Group at the NanoPower Research Laboratories (NPRL) as part of RIT’s Golisano Institute for Sustainability since 2009. Dr. Landi has recently led pioneering research on advanced Carbon Nanotubes (CNT) wires, lithium ion batteries, coaxial cables, and solar cell contacts. Dr. Landi’s research efforts during the last 5 years have translated into more than $13.6M of sponsored research with ~$8M as Principal investigator (PI) of 19 different programs from corporate and government sponsors and ~$5M as Co-PI on 9 programs. Over the last 5 years, he has supported 34 undergraduate, 8 graduate, and 6 postdoctoral fellows. In total, he is the co-author of more than 100 publications; with more than 50 during the last 5 years.
Dr. Landi received his Bachelors and Master’s degree in Chemistry from the Rochester Institute of Technology. He completed his PhD in Microsystems Engineering
- Andrew R.Bucossi, Jamie E.Rossi, Brian J.Landi, IvanPuchades “Experimental design for CO2 laser cutting of sub-millimeter features in very large-area carbon nanotube sheets” Optics & Laser Technology, Feb 2021, V134, 106591.
- Dylan J. McIntyre, Anthony P. Leggiero, Richard K. Hailstone, Ivan Puchades, Cory D. Cress and Brian J. Landi “Integrated Titanium-Carbon Nanotube Conductors via Joule-Heating Driven Chemical Vapor Deposition.” Electrochemical Society, 2020, V97, N7.
- Alex C.Tomkiewicz, Cory D.Cress, Brian J.Landi "Enhanced saltwater stability of CNT wires under electrical bias." Carbon, Oct 2020, V168, pp 180-192.
- Anthony P.Leggiero, Shannon D.Driess, Erin D.Loughran, Dylan J.McIntyre, Richard K.Hailston, Cory D.Cress, IvanPuchades, Brian J.Landi “Platinum nanometal interconnection of copper–carbon nanotube hybrid electrical conductors.” Carbon, Oct 2020, V168, pp290-301.
Dylan J. McIntyre, Ryan K. Hirschman, Ivan Puchades & Brian J. Landi “Enhanced copper–carbon nanotube hybrid conductors with titanium adhesion layer.” Journal of Materials Science, Feb 2020, V55, p6610-6622.