General Education Committee Charges
The General Education Committee shall study the general education curriculum and general education course proposals from a university-wide perspective and maintain appropriate inter-college relationships with regard to general education matters. The committee will: assure that there is on-going monitoring and assessment of the general education curriculum; assure that there is an on-going review of the general education curriculum to determine any need for modification; consult with the ICC regarding procedures needed to initiate, review and approve a curriculum modification proposal; review proposed courses for inclusion in the general education curriculum; assure the maintenance and up-keep of a data base of courses that are included as general education. The membership of the General Education Committee shall include: a faculty representative from each college to be elected by his or her collegial faculty who serves as a member of that college’s curriculum committee; one representative elected at large by the Academic Senate; one representative from the academic deans; the Chief Academic Officer or his or her delegate (ex-officio, voting); and the Director of Student Learning Outcomes and Assessment (ex-officio, non-voting).
George Zion, Chair
- Review and recommend courses as they are advanced.
- Develop procedures and criteria for the definition of immersions.
- Update the Senate and affected constituencies on the General Education transition plan.
- Determine how general education is handled within the IAP process.
- Finalize the recommendation for the first-year foundation elective.
- Work with the Institute Writing Committee to develop procedures to coordinate the approval of general education writing intensive courses.
- Review the General Education Outcomes Assessment plan and annual report.