Lt Col Dizzy B. Murphy is the Commander, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps, Detachment 538, based at Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York. His areas of responsibility include leading and supervising active duty cadre as well as graduate students and Detachment cadets from entry into the program until commissioning. He also serves as the Professor of Aerospace Studies for the Institute.
Lt Col Murphy was commissioned in 1997 through the Air Force ROTC program at Carnegie Mellon University. A graduate of Undergraduate Space and Missile Training, he has held numerous missile crew, spacelift, instructor, inspector and staff positions at the squadron, wing, numbered air force and major command levels. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Inspector General of the 100th Air Refueling Wing.
1997 Bachelor of Science in Information Systems with a Minor in Policy and Management, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.
2002 Master of Science in Information Systems, University of Phoenix, Phoenix, Arz.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base (AFB), Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College through correspondence
2014 Air War College through correspondence
1. June 1997–April 1998, Student, Undergraduate Space and Missile Training, 392d Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, California.
2. April 1998–February 2000, ICBM Deputy Combat Crew Commander, 321st Missile Squadron, 90th Missile Wing, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyoming.
3. February 2000–November 2000, ICBM Combat Crew Commander, 321st Missile Squadron, 90th Missile Wing, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyoming.
4. November 2000–September 2001, Officer Code Controller, 90th Operations Support Squadron, 90th Missile Wing, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyoming.
5. September 2001– March 2003, Range Control Officer, 2d Range Squadron, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg AFB, California.
6. March 2003 – June 2004, Chief, Range Control Officer Training, 30th Operations Support Squadron, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg, California.
7. June 2004–June 2005, Chief, Spacelift Commander Training, 30th Operations Support Squadron, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg, California.
8. June 2005–June 2006, Operations Flight Commander, 17th Test Squadron, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg AFB, California.
9. June 2006–February 2008, Exercises, Training and Joint Operations Officer, US Forces-Japan, Yokota AB, Japan.
10. February 2008 – August 2009 – Operations, Plans, Training and Non-Combatant Evacuation Ops Officer, US Forces-Japan, Yokota AB, Japan.
11. August 2009–July 2010, Chief, ICBM Command, Control and Communication Operations, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana.
12. July 2010–June 2011, Deputy Director of Staff, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana.
13. June 2011–June 2013, Chief, Inspector General Plans Branch, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana.
14. June 2013–June 2016, Inspector General, 100th Air Refueling Wing, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom.
16. June 2016–Present, Commander, AFROTC Detachment 538, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
AF Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 17, 1997
First Lieutenant June 17, 1999
Captain June 17, 2001
Major April 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2012
(Current as of July 2016)