Hazardous Materials Procurement
A wide variety of the chemicals, materials and equipment that are used on the RIT campus require compliance with Federal, state and local regulations. RIT’s Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) department works to ensure that the correct actions are being taken to keep the University compliant. These items may be purchased with a procurement card (p-card) or through a purchase requisition. In order to be able to make such purchases, the person completing the transaction or placing the order must be an Approved Hazardous Material Purchaser as designated by the EH&S Department at RIT. Purchase requisitions will be reviewed by the Procurement Services Office. Certain orders will be sent to the EH&S Department to perform a compliance review before being placed.
P-Card & PO Purchases of Hazardous Materials
The EH&S Department has worked with each College’s Deans office and F&A Department Directors to identify the individuals whom they would like to have approval to purchase chemicals, lasers or radioactive materials using their University supplied P-card or the purchase requisition system. These designated purchasers must complete the ‘Hazardous Materials Purchaser Training’ and submit the ‘Hazardous Materials Purchaser application’ to the EH&S department for approval. Once approved, these individuals can purchase hazardous materials so long as they abide by the stipulations outlined in the training.
General Requirements for Approved Hazardous Materials Purchasers
- Complete the ‘Hazardous Materials Purchaser Training’.
- Complete the ‘Hazardous Materials Purchaser Application’ and submit to the EH&S Department for approval.
- For chemical purchases
- Review the list of particularly hazardous chemicals. If the chemical is on the list, report it to the EH&S Department for review before placing the order.
- Ensure that the chemical inventory (MSDSonline) is updated when the chemical is received in order to maintain accurate amounts and locations for the chemical and to ensure that the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) is available to all users.
- Laser Purchases
- Class 3 and 4 laser purchases must be reviewed by the EH&S Department prior to placing the order.
- The EH&S Department will work with the users of these lasers to review the setup, verify training requirements are met and that regulatory requirements are satisfied.
- Radiation Producing Equipment and Radioactive Source Purchases
- Radiation Producing Equipment and Radioactive Source Purchases must be reviewed by the EH&S Department prior to placing the order.
- The EH&S Department will work with the users of these radioactive equipment/sources to review the setup, verify training requirements are met and that regulatory requirements are satisfied.