Full Time degree seeking Undergraduate and Graduate
It is the student's responsibility, not the instructor's, to assure that the "Institute Withdrawal or Leave of Absence Form" has been completed and submitted to the home academic department.
Acceptable reasons for withdrawal with refund during the term:
Full Tuition Refund
- Active military service: A student called to active military service during the first eight weeks of the term may receive a full tuition refund. If called after the eighth week, he may elect to complete the course by making special arrangements with both his instructor and department, or to withdraw and receive a full tuition refund. If the student withdraws, he/she will have to repeat the course at a later date.
- Academic reasons: Students sometime register before grades from the previous term are available. If such a student later finds that he/she is subject to academic suspension, or has failed prerequisites, the student will be given a full refund upon withdrawal.
Partial Tuition Refund
The student must officially withdraw from all courses or take a leave of absence from the Institute, in order to be eligible for a partial tuition refund. A partial refund will be made during a term, in accordance with the schedule shown below, if withdrawal/leave of absence is necessitated for one of the following reasons:
- illness, certified by the attending physician, causing excessive absence from classes;
- withdrawal for academic reasons at the request of the Institute during a term;
- transfer by employer, making class attendance impossible;
- withdrawal for academic or personal reasons at the request of the student, approved by the student's advisor or department representative, and Student Financial Services.
NOTE: Non-attendance does not constitute an official withdrawal. Official withdrawal from courses is required even if the student is not eligible for a tuition refund. The final grade is determined by the official withdrawal documentation.
Part Time Programs
The student must arrange to drop or drop with penalty from courses; otherwise, he/she will not receive a tuition refund. It is the student's responsibility (not the instructor's) to ensure the course drop with penalty paperwork is properly processed. The official drop period is the first six class days of the specific term. Please note that the official withdrawal from courses is required even if the student is not eligible for a tuition refund. The final grade is determined by the official withdrawal documentation.
NOTE: Non-attendance does not constitute an official withdrawl. Should the student find it necessary to drop or drop with penalty from a course, the net refund will be calculated in accordance with the term payment received, the tuition charged as outlined in the schedule below, any current term fees and any balance remaining from the previous term.
Tuition charges for courses dropped (with no grade assigned) during the official drop period (first six days of classes during the specified term) will be credited in full. Advance deposits are non-refundable.
If institutional charges are reduced due to withdrawal, Financial aid programs are reimbursed before a cash refund is issued to the student. The student is responsible for any unpaid balance at the time of withdrawal. Aid programs are reimbursed in the following sequence: Federal Direct Loans, Perkins Loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal SEOG, other federal aid, state aid, and institutional aid. If a credit balance still remains, the student is then issued a refund.
Questions or comments regarding institutional charge and refund structures are welcome to be submitted to Student Financial Services.
Term Refund Schedule
|Eleven Week Term Percent||Reduction of Institutional Charges|
|Through add/drop period||100%|
|After fifth week||0%|
Enrollment deposits are non-refundable.
Any student who intentionally defrauds or attempts to defraud the Institute of tuition, fees, or other charges; or who gives false information in order to obtain financial aid is subject to legal liability, prosecution and Institute disciplinary action.