Center for Excellence in Sustainable Manufacturing
Creating products and systems that are economically efficient and environmentally sustainable.
The Center for Excellence in Sustainable Manufacturing (CESM) is dedicated to enhancing the environmental and economic performance of products and processes.
The center develops and applies tools for sustainable design, a holistic approach to creating high quality products with minimal environmental impact.
There is a growing awareness that environmental problems are best addressed at the point of product and process development rather than attempting to
control them end-of-pipe. CESM is developing tools and methods to assist companies in creating closed-loop, environmentally and economically
sustainable product systems that maximize product reuse and remanufacturing.
A sample of national and international publications and presentations by GIS faculty and staff follows:
- Howard, K., "Operated by enlightenment," Industrial Engineer, Institute for Industrial Engineering, 39(11): 42-45, November, 2007.
- Grant, G. and Seager, T. "Knowledge Infrastructure for Industrial Symbiosis: Progress in Information and Communication Technology,"
5th Global Symposium on Sustainable Product Development and Life Cycle Engineering, Rochester, NY, September 20, 2007.
- Seager, TP., et. al., "Typological review of environmental performance metrics," Integrated Environmental Assesment and Management, 3(3): 310-321, 2007.
- Nasr, N., "Designing sustainable manufacturing practices," OECD Workshop on Sustainable Manufacturing Production, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 21-22, 2007.
- Nasr, N., "Creating Sustainable Industrial Development," Fifteenth Session of the United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development, New York, NY, February 27, 2007.
- Chapman, C., "Ready set, monitor," Industrial Engineer, Institute for Industrial Engineering, 39(6): 40-43, 2007.
- Seager TP, et. al., "Comparative assessment of several multi-criteria decision analysis tools," Environmental Security in Harbors and Coastal Areas, Springer: Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006, In press.
- Seager TP, et. al., "Application of multicriteria decision analysis in environmental decision making," Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, 1(2):95-108, 2005.
- Seager TP, Eighmy TT, Melton J., "Working towards sustainable science and engineering," Resources, Conservation, and Recycling, 42(3):205-207, 2004.
- Seager TP, Theis TL., "A uniform definition and quantitative basis for industrial ecology," Journal of Cleaner Production, 10(3):225-235, 2002.