NEC Foundation of America
In this project we test tablet PC technology and C-Print software for captioning with graphics support with deaf and hard-of-hearing students in mainstreamed college classrooms. These tests are an important comparison to the Steppingstones Phase I & Steppingstones Phase II grants (described above). Both the pace and complexity of postsecondary course material varies greatly from material that is typically presented in lower grades. This project helps to define useful procedures for implementing this support for college students. In addition, this grant will test the “tag team” approach for captioning, which will permit two service providers to work together to input both the text and graphics materials in STEM courses.
- Developing procedures and guides for providing captioning with graphics in college classrooms
- Creating student guides for use with college students
- Further testing and development of C-Print Pro tablet software
- Field trials in college classrooms
- Interviewing students and service providers about the new technology
- Gathering questionnaire data from students about tablet experiences