Student Services

AP/IB/CLEP/Duplicate/Transfer Credits

The College Board's Advanced Placement (AP) Program allows high school students to test their proficiency by taking an exam which covers college level material. AP examinations are offered in more than 14,000 high schools in the United States, Canada, and 63 other countries. A score of 3 or higher (on a grading scale of 1 to 5) can be considered for credit at RIT.

For more information, please see this chart.

International Baccalaureate (IB)
RIT recognizes IB level work. Credit may be awarded for higher level examinations completed with a grade of 5 or better. Credit is awarded on a course-by-course basis and in the context of the student's intended program at RIT. Each department will determine the specific amount of credit to be awarded. Students may forward IB transcripts to the Office of Admissions for evaluation.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP is a nationwide system of credit by examination offered by The College Board. Any person entering college, presently attending college or out of college may take CLEP examinations and seek credit by submitting the test results to RIT for evaluation. Credit recommendations for CLEP vary depending on the subject and examination results. Please consult with an advisor in the Office of Student Services for further information and to determine which examination will fulfill Liberal Arts course requirements.

Duplicate Credit

Please be advised that concurrent or dual enrollment college courses taken in high school may duplicate AP, IB and/or A-Level examinations.  Additionally, exams may duplicate each other (for example, an AP or IB exam in the same subject area).

If the student does duplicate an exam with another exam of the same subject content, and/or an exam with a college course, RIT will award credit only once.

Transfer Credit
The Office of the Registrar evaluates transfer credit for prospective and matriculated RIT students. Students thinking about taking liberal arts courses at another college or university will need to consult with an advisor in the Office of Student Services and complete a "Transfer Credit Prior Approval Form" before registering. Prospective students can call the Office of Student Services at (585) 475-2444 for questions about acceptable courses for transfer to RIT.

RIT's transfer credit policies: