Dr. Jing Zhang received her B.S. degree in electronic science and technology from the Huazhong University of Science and Technology (Wuhan, China) in 2009, and her Ph.D. degree from Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Lehigh University (Bethlehem, PA) in 2013. Dr. Zhang is a recipient of the Dean’s Scholarship (2009, Lehigh University) and a two-times recipient of Sherman-Fairchild Fellowship for Solid State Studies (2011-2013, Lehigh University). Dr. Zhang received the SPIE Scholarship in Optics and Photonics in 2012.
Dr. Zhang’s research areas are related to III-Nitride semiconductors for photonics and energy applications. Her research works cover various aspects of computational, material growth, and device fabrication of III-Nitride semiconductors for light emitters and thermoelectic devices. Her research interests include the pursuit of novel materials for large thermoelectric figure of merit, semiconductor Ultraviolet Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) and lasers, as well as III-Nitride solid state lighting devices. Dr. Zhang has published more than 22 refereed journal papers and 30 conference publications including invited talks.
Positions are available for highly motivated and hard-working graduate (Ph.D. / M.S.) and undergraduate students (B.S.) in Dr. Zhang’s group.
- J. Zhang, H. P. Zhao, and N. Tansu, “Effect of Crystal-Field Split-Off Hole and Heavy-Hole Bands Crossover on Gain Characteristics of High Al-Content AlGaN Quantum Well Lasers,” Appl. Phys. Lett. vol. 97, Art. 111105, September 2010.
- H. Tong *, J. Zhang *, G. Y. Liu, J. Herbsommer, G. S. Huang, and N. Tansu, “Thermoelectric Properties of Lattice-Matched AlInN Alloy Grown by Metalorganic Chemical Vapor Deposition,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 97, Art. 112105, September 2010. ( * refers to co-first-authors)
- J. Zhang, H. Tong, G. Y. Liu, J. A. Herbsommer, G. S. Huang, and N. Tansu, “Characterizations of Seebeck Coefficients and Thermoelectric Figures of Merit for AlInN Alloys with Various In-Contents,” J. Appl. Phys., vol. 109(5), Art. 053706, March 2011.
- G. Y. Liu, H. P. Zhao, J. Zhang, J. H. Park, L. J. Mawst, and N. Tansu, “Selective Area Epitaxy of Ultra-High Density InGaN Quantum Dots by Diblock Copolymer,” Nanoscale Res. Lett., vol. 6, Art. 342, April 2011.
- H. P. Zhao, J. Zhang, G. Y. Liu, and N. Tansu, “Surface Plasmon Dispersion Engineering via Double-Metallic Au / Ag Layers for III-Nitride Based Light-Emitting Diodes,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 98, Art. 151115, April 2011.
- J. Zhang, H. P. Zhao, and N. Tansu, “Large Optical Gain AlGaN-Delta-GaN Quantum Wells Laser Active Regions in Mid- and Deep-Ultraviolet Spectral Regimes,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 98, Art. 171111, April 2011.
- (Invited Journal Paper) H. P. Zhao, G. Y. Liu, J. Zhang, J. D. Poplawsky, V. Dierolf, and N. Tansu, “Approaches for high internal quantum efficiency green InGaN light-emitting diodes with large overlap quantum wells,” Optics Express, vol. 19(S4), Pp. A991-A1007, July 2011.
- J. Zhang, S. Kutlu, G. Y. Liu, and N. Tansu, “High-Temperature Characteristics of Seebeck Coefficients for AlInN Alloys Grown by Metalorganic Vapor Phase Epitaxy,” J. Appl. Phys., vol. 110, Art. 043710, August 2011.
- J. Zhang, and N. Tansu, “Improvement in spontaneous emission rates for InGaN quantum wells on ternary InGaN substrate for light-emitting diodes,” J. Appl. Phys., vol. 110, Art. 113110, December 2011.
- G. Y. Liu, J. Zhang, X. H. Li, G. S. Huang, T. Paskova, K. R. Evans, H. P. Zhao, and N. Tansu, “Metalorganic Vapor Phase Epitaxy and Characterizations of Nearly-Lattice-Matched AlInN Alloys on GaN / Sapphire Templates and Free-Standing GaN Substrates,” J. Crys. Growth, vol. 340 (1), pp. 66-73, February 2012.
- J. Zhang, and N. Tansu, “Optical Gain and Laser Characteristics of InGaN Quantum Wells on Ternary InGaN Substrates”, IEEE Photonics Journal, vol. 5, no. 2, Art. 2600111, April 2013. DOI: 10.1109/JPHOT.2013.2247587
- J. Zhang, and N. Tansu, “Engineering of AlGaN-Delta-GaN Quantum Wells Gain Media for Mid- and Deep-Ultraviolet Lasers”, IEEE Photonics Journal, vol. 5, no. 2, Art. 2600209, April 2013.
- C. K. Tan, J. Zhang, X. H. Li, G. Y. Liu, B. O. Tayo, and N. Tansu, “First-Principle Electronic Properties of Dilute-As GaNAs Alloy for Visible Light Emitters”, Journal of Display Technology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 272-279, April 2013.
- G. Y. Liu, J. Zhang, C. K. Tan, and N. Tansu, “Efficiency-Droop Suppression by Using Large-Bandgap AlGaInN Thin Barrier Layers in InGaN Quantum Wells Light-Emitting Diodes”, IEEE Photonics Journal, vol. 5, no. 2, Art. 2201011, April 2013.