Claude F. Bragdon
Claude Bragdon (1866-1946) was an American architect who designed many buildings and homes in the Rochester, NY area, including the Bevier Building, housing RIT's art classes, located at the corner of Spring and S. Washington Streets on RIT's downtown campus, designed by Bragdon in 1908; the Ontario County Historical Museum located on Main St. in Canandaigua, NY opened in 1914; the New York Central Railroad Station also opened in 1914 now demolished and considered one of Rochester's greatest losses to architectural scenery and history; and the Rochester First Universalist Church, located on Court Street at S. Clinton Avenue.
In addition to architecture, he wrote and lectured on a wide array of topics, including theosophy, yoga, theater, and the occult. He established the Manas Press in 1909 to publish his theosophy work and the poetry of Adelaide Crapsey. Bragdon eventually moved to Manhattan and designed theatrical sets for Walter Hampden. His work can still be seen around Rochester today. He taught at Mechanics Institute from 1894-1897.