Dear RIT Research Community-
Given the most recent guidance by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, State of New York, and Monroe County concerning COVID-19 transmission, RIT has issued these revised standards related to human subjects research:
- In an effort to protect researchers and subjects all research activities that can be conducted remotely (surveys, interviews, focus groups, device and software applications, etc.) should continue to be designed to collect data by remote methods.
- If you are unable to conduct research remotely due to the research question and design of your study, your research plan must include all of the appropriate requirements outlined in the RIT Safety Plan on the RIT Ready website. It is the responsibility of the PI to stay up to date with any changes in the RIT Safety Plan. Submit a Form A and any necessary supporting materials such as consent forms, recruitment information, lab protocols, COVID-safety instructions given to subjects, etc. You may need to develop materials to communicate the COVID-related precautions and steps subejcts are required to take to participate.
- If you suspended operation of your study and wish to restart please submit a revised Form A using track changes showing the proposed modifications as well as any modified supporting materials such as consent forms, recruitment information, lab protocols, COVID-safety instructions given to subjects, etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating it is a previously approved study that is restarting and include the HSRO# that is on your Form C approval letter.
For additional information regarding Sponsored Research please check https://www.rit.edu/research/srs/node/1831
To submit research for review:
- We're suspending the need for signed hard copies of the Form A at this time
- Send an electronic version of the Form A and all supporting materials to email@example.com
- For student research - If electronic signatures are not possible, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from the advisor or department chair indicating you are signing off on the research (if email is from advisor please cc department chair); this email will serve as the "signature" we normally require on hard copies. The email should include student's name.
- For faculty/staff research - If electronic signatures are not possible, solicit support from your supervisor/department chair and then send an email to email@example.com cc'ing your supervisor/department chair indicating they are signing off on your research; this email will serve as the "signature" we normally require on hard copies. The email should include the project title.
Questions regarding forms and the status and submission of new and continuing research protocols should be directed to the Human Subjects Research Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions regarding research activities, determining whether an activity requires review by the IRB, and training should be directed to:
Heather Foti, MPH
Ph: at this time staff in the HSRO are working remotely and email is the preferred method of communication
Human Subjects Research Office (HSRO) Bldg 87, 2nd Floor Administrative Services Building/Innovation Center, Suite 2400