- ML Dept
- ML Tech. Center
Why Study Italian?
"Knowledge of Italian is fundamental for those who embrace a career in the humanities and the social sciences, especially in art history, literature, history, music, linguistics, education and international relations. It is also becoming increasingly useful for those who plan a career in a technological field, in business administration and in many other professional fields.
- Art related professions need Italian. According to UNESCO (the cultural and educational agency of the United Nations), over 60 percent of the world's art treasures are found in Italy.
- Italy gave birth to literary masterpieces known and acclaimed wordwide such as Dante's "Divine Comedy."
- Italy is a world leader in fashion, interior design, and graphic design.
- Italy has long been a magnet for the tourism industry. For example in 1996, 55 million people visited Italy. In the year 2000, Rome alone hosted over 30 million visitors.
- Italian language could enable tourists to travel in the country as insiders.
- Italy is one of the top five world economies and a leading member of the G7 Group.
- An estimated 7,000 American companies do business with Italy and more than 1,000 US firms have offices in Italy including IBM, General Electric, Motorola, City Bank and Price Waterhouse.
- Italy is a world leader in machine tool manufacturing, with advanced technologies in robotics, electro mechanical machinery, shipbuilding, space engineering, construction machinery, and transportation equipment. Many of these firms have offices in the United States.
- Italy's economy is changing: state-owned companies are becoming privatized, opening up the Italian market to American companies and professionals in aerospace, transportation, insurance, finance, shipping, telecommunications and various forms of commerce.
- With the opening of the Italian market, American companies like AT&T and IBM will be establishing ties with Italian companies in the areas of cable TV, international cellular phone systems, the Internet and more, and will need personnel who speak Italian and English.
- You may want to widen your horizon and learn about this fascinating civilization beyond the stereotypes.
- Last but not least you may be interested in Italy and Italian because you are of Italian descent and proud of your heritage" ("National Italian American Foundation")."