Gifts of stock are the least expensive gifts you can give. If you give a gift of cash, you have to earn it and pay tax on it first. If you give stock, all the appreciation goes tax free with the gift. And, you get to take the same deduction you would for an equivalent gift in cash.
Take advantage of the benefits of giving stock versus cash:
- Avoid the capital gains tax → it can climb to nearly 40 percent for some taxpayers
- Save on income tax → deduct the fair market value of the stock
- Hold on to the cash you were going to give → use it re-invest in the stock market.
- You can even buy back the same stock that you gave to RIT
Here’s how it works:
- You transfer securities to Rochester Institute of Technology
- RIT sells your gift of stock and uses the proceeds for the programs you select
The additional benefits you receive include:
- Gift credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the stock on the date of transfer
- You avoid paying capital gains tax on the stock you donate
- You can direct your gift to a specific fund or university priority
- You have the satisfaction of saving taxes, locking in your gains, and making a significant gift now or funding a program that benefits RIT now and into the future
To make your gift of stock to RIT, complete the form and use the information contained in the form to effect the stock transaction.
If you have questions about gifts of stock, feel free to discuss with:
To be contact directly, please complete and submit the form below.