Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Skip to content Skip to navigation

Work Abroad

Working abroad is a great way to experience a different culture, gain work experience in your field of study, and work for outstanding companies and organizations. You will get a different perspective on how to live and work and you will learn different ways of approaching and solving problems in a professional environment. Working abroad is sure to be a great experience both personally and professionally.


  1. Work Options
    1. International Internships
    2. Volunteer Work Abroad
    3. Teaching Abroad
  2. Explore By Country
  3. Affiliates/Partners List
  4. Travel Information
    1. Health Insurance Coverage
    2. Travel Advisory
    3. Language and Culture
    4. Documents
    5. Currency
    6. Housing
  5. Frequently Asked Questions
  6. Contact Us

Work Options

International Internships

  • Internships usually are paid or unpaid. However, even if paid, salaries are lower than US paid internships
  • The type of work is more directly related with your field of study
  • Duration is generally one summer or semester to up to one year

Volunteer Work Abroad

  • Volunteering is for those who are motivated and willing to serve paying less attention to compensation
  • The fields are usually in the education, health, environment, and small-business sectors
  • Great opportunity for those interested in development and non-governmental organizations
  • Duration is usually two weeks to two years

RIT Partner for Volunteering

Volunteering Organizations outside RIT Partnerships: (below are the top volunteering programs placement organizations)

  • Workcamps Volunteer with people from 4 or more countries for a 2-3 week service project, building cultural understanding and meeting a local need
  • Individual Service Adventures - Create a personalized 2-week to 1-year international service project
  • Group Projects - Custom-build an international service experience for your educational or community group

Cost: Volunteer pay a $500 registration fee that covers accommodation and food during the project. Volunteers are also responsible for their own airfare. In many of their projects in the developing world (Aisia, Africa, Central and South America) there may be an extra fee of $200 - $500 dollars. For more information, please visit

Your Volunteer Experience is 100% tax deductible. We will issue a charitable tax receipt for the Program Cost plus your airfare. You may also fundraise for the total cost of your trip including your airfare. In these cases, we will issue a charitable tax receipt to those who donate on your behalf.


Teaching Abroad

  • This option is a long term commitment of one to two years
  • A college degree is usually required

Paid Teaching Positions Abroad:
Spain Cultural Ambassadors Program: Would you like to spend a school year in Spain? Getting to know its culture and people while improving your Spanish and collaborating with other foreign language teachers in school tasks? The Spanish Ministry of Education offers you Paid English Teaching Assistant Positions available all over Spain. Apply Online from November 1 to March 30, the program period is from September to June of every year. You can contact them at

France Teaching Assistant Program: Are you ready to expand your cultural horizons and share your language and culture with French students? The Teaching Assistant Program in France offers you the opportunity to work in France for 7 months, teaching English to French students of all ages.

Korea Teach and Learn in Korea (TALK) program: Teach and Learn in Korea, also known as the “TaLK” Program, is a unique scholarship opportunity for undergraduates who are seeking a personal, professional and educational experience in Korea. Applicants must be Native English Speaker. At the time of application, all applicants must be enrolled in a Bachelor’s program and have completed at least two(2) years of undergraduate study OR have obtained an Associate's degree.

Japan The Jet Program: Enables local authorities to employ foreign youth for the purpose of improving foreign language education as well as promoting international exchange at the local level. After completing their time on the Program, many former JET participants use their experiences in Japan to continue enhancing relations between Japan and their home countries.

CIEE Teach Abroad: CIEE offers paid teaching positions in seven countries (Chile, China, Dominican Republic, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam) for university graduates looking to teach English abroad and immerse themselves in a foreign community.

China- Ameson Education and Culture Exchange Foundation: The Ameson Year in China program is for recent college graduates and other qualified applicants seeking to expand their horizons and develop a global vision using their natural asset – English. In exchange for teaching English as a contribution to Chinese students for an academic year, the AYC is designed to give participants the chance to gain a deep understanding of Chinese culture, learn one of the world's most in- demand languages, enhance their professional development, gain professional experience, and improve future employment prospects in the U.S. and around the world. The program also provides opportunities to conduct independent projects of personal significance and establish a personal business or academic network in China, which can all be invaluable assets for a future career.

teflSearch: We're a modern job site for teaching English, to help you all year round. We have a powerful search to help you find things quickly and we're trying to provide clear and un-biased information on teaching abroad, with everything from interactive budgets for places like Japan & Korea to advice on how to find jobs and sort out housing.

Explore by Country

The following countries are represented

ArgentinaAustraliaBrazilCanadaChileChinaFranceGermanyIndiaIrelandItalyJamaicaJapanSpainSwitzerlandUnited Kingdom


There are many affiliates that can assist you in the search. Some of these programs can assist you with getting work permits, visas, health insurance or provide you with information about companies within the countries. See below for some work abroad programs.

Cultural Vistas

Cultural Vista Fellowship Program: Cultural Vistas offers an array of personalized and enriching professional internship and training programs in Argentina, Chile, France, Germany, Spain, and Switzerland. Cultural Vistas' internships abroad programs provide customized summer and year-long internship placements tailored to students' specific skill sets, ambitions, and career aspirations. Our programs allow students to see the world, experience new cultures firsthand, and gain the transferable skills that will set them apart in today's global marketplace.


The Pasona Internship Program has offered the Summer Internship Program in Japan to American graduate and selected undergraduate students since 1988. So far, over 370 students have had the unique working experience in the Japanese corporate world through the Internship Programs.

The program has offered internships at various Japanese corporations for approximately 10 students each year. Interns will receive 120,000 yen per month as allowance (subject to change depending on internship period) plus accommodations in a company dormitory. Work-related travel expenses will also be provided by the host company. Pasona Internship Program will reimburse a round-trip economy airfare between the U.S. and Japan up to $1,200.

To qualify, candidates must be highly proficient in the Japanese language and must currently be enrolled as a graduate or undergraduate student.


DAAD offers a wide range of opportunities to students, scholars, and higher education institutions of the United States and Canada, from undergraduate students to faculty, for study and research in Germany.


BUNAC offers US students and young people work/travel programs to Britain, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.

Global Experiences LLC

Global Experiences LLC provides a tremendous opportunity to gain invaluable practical unpaid work experience, learn new foreign language skills, and cultural immersion opportunities that are second to none.
Experience life as an international intern in Italy, Australia, Spain, France or the UK.

Stint Ireland

Inspiring a lifetime of adventure with an experience abroad.

Stint Ireland provides high-quality internship experiences in Ireland, tailored with you in mind. A full-service program, we work with you to establish your dream experience and understand your goals for your time abroad. As we have a rich network in Dublin, we are able to work on internship placements for all majors. Furthermore, our team is there to guide you during the placement, pre-arrival, arrival, departure, and post-stint stages. An international education is more than your internship though. We believe in the value of a cultural education as well. Ultimately, we are champions of international experiences and global citizenship as a lifestyle.
For more information on the application process please visit RIT job zone


The IAESTE Internship Program

Developing global skills in tomorrow's technical leaders.

Established in 1950, IAESTE United States is committed to its mission of enhancing technical and professional development and promoting international understanding. Through this longstanding internship placement program, U.S. university students majoring in science and technical fields are matched with paid internships around the world.

Each year opportunities are available in approximately 15-20 different countries across a range of industries, at research institutes and universities, consulting firms, labs, and other technical work environments. Internship placements generally last between 8-12 weeks and take place during the summer, but both fall semester and longer-term placements are available.



China Semester Co-ops and Summer Internships are available for RIT students via ImmerQi’s professional internship program. Paid monthly allowances may be offered by our companies for longer placement durations. Placements are full time and you will be confirmed your placement company with plenty of notice prior to arriving in China. Positions are available for both those with no prior mandarin knowledge and also for those with mandarin speaking abilities.

ImmerQi has been providing study abroad programs for over 20 years and is well connected in China to provide RIT students a guaranteed placement related to your major. Our companies include both Chinese and International owned companies, ranging from entrepreneurial start-ups to large multi-nationals. Placements are available for students of Architecture, BioScience, Business, Design, Engineering, IT, Media and Communications.


Cross Cultural Solutions is a nonprofit working to address critical global issues by providing meaningful volunteer service to communities abroad, and contributing responsibly to local economies.

Their programs are available in Central and South America, Thailand, India, Tanzania, Ghana, Morocco.

Prices may vary according to the duration of the program; 1 week program cost is costing around 2, 480 dollars including housing, meals, medical insurance, excursions and activities, free emergency hotline to the U.S., language lessons, etc.

Cross Cultural Solutions also offers assistant to students to obtain funding and all fees are also tax deductible.

Leave UR Mark

Leave UR Mark is a social enterprise that serves volunteers, interns, and travelers from around the world that want to come to India and work on career development as well as positive community growth through local initiatives. We work with professional organizations, start-ups, non-profits, and NGOs that are working for the betterment of India. Each experience is a unique look into India’s fascinating culture and growth. Every intern or volunteer feels changed in some capacity through their time with us.


International Exchange of North America (IENA) offers international opportunities, enabling participants to explore and experience other countries and cultures from the inside in a way that a casual visitor never can. US students can choose from destinations – Australia, Canada, Colombia and New Zealand – for a challenging, once in a lifetime experience of living, working and traveling overseas.

A Door To Italy

Genova, Italy Work Abroad
Summer Internships are available for RIT students in Genova, Italy through A Door to Italy Internship program. The program enhances students  Italian language skills while working and living in Genova. Students can obtain a  4, 8, or  12 weeks unpaid internship. No prior knowledge of Italian language is required.

Internships are available in Art & Design, Business, Communication, Information Technology and Computer Science, International Hospitality & Service Management, Photography, Museum Studies, Physician Assistant, Film & Animation, Political Science, International and Global Studies.

Package includes pre-departure orientation, airport pick up, in country orientation upon arrival, Italian language course available at all levels from beginner to advance, on-site program coordinator and  lodgings.


Intern in Jamaica- Get real life training in the trenches of daily business

Are you looking for an un-paid internship abroad with a difference? Do you want to go somewhere new, and different? Come to Jamaica, an exotic island famous for its sun-kissed beaches and warm climate. Known for its Reggae music and famous Blue Mountain coffee, tourists flock to its shores all year round.

You will never be alone as Jamaica Volunteer Program’s team and extensive network of partners will be available to offer hands on training, and support, before your arrival, during your placement and after your departure.

The Internship placement process:

Immediately after submitting your application, you’ll be placed with an internship coordinator who will work with you as if you are the only intern. The goal of this internship is to offer customized internship placements and expose you to several aspects of Jamaica‘s tourism.

Interning in Jamaica is your chance to do it all – Have fun, build skills and get experience -  Whether you are interested in Customer Service, Reservations, Concierge, Sales & marketing, entertainment, Online Marketing & Social Media Assistant, restaurant and many more.


Cross Cultural Solutions: Cross-Cultural Solutions is a nonprofit working to address critical global issues by providing meaningful volunteer service to communities abroad, and contributing responsibly to local economies.

Their programs are available in Central and South America, Thailand, India, Tanzania, Ghana, Morocco.

Cost: Prices may vary according to the duration of the program; 1 week program cost is costing around 2, 480 dollars including housing, meals, medical insurance, excursions and activities, free emergency hotline to the U.S., language lessons, etc.

Cross Cultural Solutions also offers assistant to students to obtain funding and all fees are also tax deductible.



Academic Internship Council (AIC)

In collaboration with the Academic Internship Council (AIC), RIT offers a comprehensive 10 week summer unpaid internship program that runs June through August in Santiago, Chile.

A booming center and gateway to the region - and the world - Santiago exemplifies the county's export-driven economy, which boasts the highest GDP in Latin America built on the selling of metals and minerals, fish, produce, and wines to the world's top markets. It's no wonder Santiago's financial district has been called "Sanhattan"

You can take advantage of all the amenities this student-friendly city offers, including top restaurants, a vibrant nightlife, museums, shopping, and more.


The Atlantis Project offers pre-health/pre-med students short-term hospital internships in Spain and the Azores Islands of Portugal. Atlantis Fellows intern at public hospitals, learn about the European healthcare system by shadowing health professionals, improve language skills, and give back to the community by teaching English to local residents.

Internship details: Students are assigned a preceptor and will experience 25 hours/week of shadowing in the hospital, have the opportunity to teach English or provide other community service, plus participate in a number of excursion activities designed to immerse students in the local culture.

Travel Information

Health Insurance Coverage

You should be familiar with all circumstances in your host country that could affect your health and safety Health Insurance Coverage.

Travel Advisory

The U.S. Department of State website will allow you to check the status of a country’s travel advisory, as well as important tips and information for students. Register your travel abroad with the US department of state prior to your departure, Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

Language and Culture

Speaking the native language is not always a requirement for working overseas, therefore check with the company that you are targeting. Be aware that you are entering a new country and a new culture. Find out as much information as you can about the country you are visiting including language, cultural do’s and don’t, economic problems, and national attraction. Talk to other students and family members who have traveled to these countries. You can also visit the International Student Support Services to find out if we have any current students attending RIT from that country. This is a great way to gain first hand knowledge about your destination.


Prepare for the unexpected! One of the obstacles that you will probably encounter in preparing for an international work experience is the documentation.

Passport – If you don’t already have one, apply for a passport. The cost for a new passport is $140 and it typically takes about 4-6 weeks to arrive. If you’re in a hurry, you can pay an additional fee for expedited service to receive the passport within 2 weeks.

Visas/Permits – All countries require special permission for foreigners to work in their countries. For co-op students, Visas may or may not be required. Check with hiring company for more information.

For additional information regarding passports, visas, immunizations and testing, and additional fees, visit the U.S. Department of State site.


Have local currency with you when you arrive in that country, so you can pay for transportation and other expenses. Credit cards like Visa, Master Card and American Express are widely accepted around the world. Your ATM debit card might work overseas as well, but check with your financial institution before leaving the US. For information on currency conversion click here.


When working overseas, housing is usually the responsibility of the student or individual looking for a job. Available accommodations will vary by country and specific locality. There are certain organizations that specialize in providing housing, for a cost, to a student on internship or co-op assignment. Below are links to some of these organizations as well as general search sites. – Online database of apartment rentals for U.S., Canada and other countries. – Resources for overseas living, geared towards full time work assignments. is an association of International Houses from across the continents, they provide students of different nationalities with the opportunity to live and learn together in a community of mutual respect, understanding and international friendship. Locations: Australia, United Kingdom and Canada.

Frequently Asked Questions

How would I benefit?

  • Obtain co-op credit for your work
  • Gain valuable work experience and develop new skills
  • Understand global issues by experiencing them first-hand
  • Expand your cultural horizons
  • Develop your foreign language skills
  • Expand your professional network
  • Make new friends

What should I do first?

  • Review the Work Abroad Partners on our website
  • Attend a Work Abroad Information Session
  • Meet with Maria Richart for more information

How can I best prepare?

  • Take language courses appropriate to your target country
  • Determine when you would like to work abroad
  • Make sure your passport is up-to-date
  • Invest enough time working with our office to find the right affiliate to meet your needs

What is the cost?

  • Cost varies depending on your destination
  • By using the work abroad providers/affiliates, work permits and service fees may be included. None include plane fare, or room and board
  • Some overseas jobs may pay enough to cover living expenses, but plan on taking enough money to travel and cover your living expenses as salaries are much lower than US salaries
  • There is No Financial Aid for working abroad

When should I start looking for a work abroad opportunity?

Start looking at least 6 months before you are due to co-op or looking to move overseas. This is not a short process and can take a long time to establish the connections and get the paperwork needed to work abroad. If you don’t already have one, get a passport. Research countries, organizations and processes by usings sites like Going Global (which is available as a link in RIT Job Zone). It contains more than 10,000 job resources.

Who is eligible to work abroad and what are the requirements?

For students: At the time that you become eligible to co-op, you are eligible to work abroad. For students enrolled in engineering or technical programs, we do recommend that you pursue these opportunities after your first or second co-op. You will have the advantage of having work experience and will be better prepared to approach the international work environment.

Do I need to speak the language?

Not necessarily, but it will depend on the company or organization that you’re working for. Most large corporations will have some English speaking employees and can actually benefit from hiring an English speaking student. Other companies may want you to speak their native tongue in order to conduct business and deal with co-workers and customers. Find out what the language requirements are for a specific company before making any commitments.

Have other students worked overseas?

Yes. Most work abroad opportunities have been through our partner organizations such as Cultural Vistas, Global Experience, etc. Want to learn about some of their experiences? Click here

Contact Us

Maria Richart
Associate Director for International Outreach
57 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623

Students, if you are interested in meeting with Maria first send this email message with some information about yourself and your work abroad goals.