Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Your Room: Express Yourself!

What will your residence hall room look like?

Each multiple person room has a loft unit, desk, dresser, closet/wardrobe, chair, wastebasket, and a recycling trash can for each occupant. All rooms are carpeted* and have window shades. Visit our Room with a View page for inspirational room decorating ideas provided by local businesses!* Some residence hall rooms have no carpet in anticipation of meeting an ADA accommodation. Student without accommodations may be placed in these rooms.

Double rooms in the residence halls come in two basic shapes (These are approximations. Room sizes, shapes and layouts vary from building to building, even room to room on any given floor):

  • Rectangular, measuring approximately 17' long by 10' wide. These rooms are generally located in the high-rise sections of the residence halls.
  • Square, approximately 12' long by 14' wide. These rooms are generally located in the low-rise sections.
  • Default furniture layout

Virtual Tour

In addition, there are approximately 120 triple and quad student rooms located throughout the residence halls. These rooms are larger to comfortably accommodate multiple students. Residence rooms no matter their occupancy level are assigned on a random basis.

Virtual Tour

Our mattresses have a vinyl covering for health and sanitary reasons. Due to safety requirements, only RIT mattresses can be used. We recommend that you bring a cotton mattress cover to place over the vinyl covering. Mattresses in all rooms are 33" wide by 79" long. All rooms have window shades. If you want to purchase drapes, we recommend that you wait until after you have seen your room. Some student rooms have one window, and others have two. Window sizes vary depending on the residence area.


Piece Dimensions
Bed (Image) 84 1/4" long x 36" wide x 71 1/2" high
(Mattress: 79" long x 33" wide)
Dresser (Image) 24" long x 22 1/2" wide x 50" high
Chair (Image) N/A
Desk (Image) 42" long x 28 1/4" wide x 28 1/4" high
Drawers (Image) 17" long x 28 1/4" wide x 28 1/4" high

Organized vs. Unorganized

Room care and cleanliness are the responsibility of the students who share the room- one reason we ask students about their cleaning preferences. Rooms must be kept clean for health and safety reasons. Vacuum cleaners may be obtained from your resident advisor. The common areas of the buildings (bathrooms, lounges, etc.) are cleaned regularly by Facilities Management staff.

Each room is inspected at the start of the school year. You will be asked to complete an online inventory assessment form verifying the condition of the room. To properly check out of your room, you need to complete a Move-Out Notification form available at, return your room keys in a completed Key Return Envelope available at the Housing Office in Grace Watson Hall, and remove all your personal belongings.


Out of consideration for other residents, we do not allow animals other than fish and service animals in the residence halls. The tank size should be no larger than 10 gallons. Please leave your piranha, Oscars, and other carnivorous fish at home!

Vacation Closing

Feel free to stay on campus during quarter breaks if you are returning the next term, as all residence halls remain open. However, when we close during the December holiday break, all students must leave. Card access will be disabled on the exterior doors to ensure the safety of room contents. Alternate housing at the RIT Inn and Conference Center can be arranged by contacting Housing Operations.


Cable Television

Rooms are equipped with standard cable service provided through TimeWarner Communications. Students wishing to upgrade their service can do so by calling TimeWarner at (585) 756-5000.


A telephone line is provided in each room; however, telephones are not provided. You will need to bring your own telephone with you. On-campus and local calling services are available, but long-distance calls require a calling card.


All rooms have an overhead light, but we suggest that you bring your own lamps. Torchier or any style lamp(s) that use a halogen bulb 300 watts or more is prohibited. Torchier style lamps that use a compact florescent or incandescent bulb are permitted.

Connections to the RIT Computer Network

All residence halls are wireless. Additionally, an Ethernet jack is provided for every student in a residence hall room, which allows you free, direct, high-speed access to the campus network and the Internet. (You may need to purchase additional hardware for your personal computer to use this service. Information about the requirements will be provided before your arrival.) You can access your campus computer account, read and respond to email from your laptop/desktop, use library resources via the World Wide Web, and share information with other students and teachers around the world. Training sessions on how to use these resources are available on campus. Students are responsible for protecting their own computer systems with UL-approved surge protectors/suppressors.


Storage space is not available. We suggest that at the beginning of the year you attempt to send home as much of your excess luggage, boxes, and crates as possible.

Personal Property Insurance

RIT strongly encourages all students to maintain insurance coverage for their personal possessions while attending school. RIT assumes no responsibility for losses of students' personal belongings.

RIT is pleased to offer Personal Property Insurance through CSI Insurance Agency, Inc. The CSI Student Personal Property Protector Plus® is underwritten by Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company and offers several different limit and deductible options providing students greater flexibility to select the type and amount of coverage that best serves their needs. All CSI policyholders are automatically eligible to purchase ALL risk coverage for photography related equipment that is rented or borrowed for short term periods up to an additional $25,000 in value per occurrence.

The plans are available through:

CSI Insurance Agency, Inc.
(888) 411-4911

Please refer to the Student Personal Property Brochure for additional details and exclusions. Also included are annual rates, additional general information about the program, and an application form.

Appliances and Other Information

To comply with fire-safety regulations, we limit appliances to clocks, televisions, personal computers, printers, VCRs, DVDs, surge-protection outlet strips, stereos, radios, fans, hair dryers, curling irons, hot rollers, electric razors, electric toothbrushes, small refrigerators (no larger than five cubic feet), and answering machines. All other electrical appliances are not allowed. No appliance may have an exposed heating element. All appliances must be UL approved. Refer to the Terms and Conditions for a full list of prohibited and accepted appliances.

Material that might be used to attach posters to your walls should not leave any residue, oil spots, or stick glue and should not mar the wall surface.

Mail Service

The post office is located in the tunnel area underneath Nathaniel Rochester Hall. Mail is delivered once a day and picked up twice a day at posted hours. Each student will have his or her own mailbox.

Laundry Services

There are several free laundry rooms throughout the tunnels connecting the residence halls.

Fire Strobes for Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing Students

Rochester Institute of Technology is proud to be recognized as the only technical institute in the world that provides educational opportunities in a college setting for deaf/hard-of-hearing students. The National Technical Institute for the Deaf, a college of RIT, was established by Congress in 1968 and is funded through the U.S. Department of Education. This college admits qualified students from every state in the nation, as well as other countries, and has a strong national network for job placement.

Strobe light warning equipment is provided in each room where a deaf/hard-of-hearing student might live. All deaf/hard-of-hearing students will be assigned to fire-strobed rooms.

Accommodations for Students with Disabilities and Special Medical Needs

All residence hall buildings have handicap-accessible bathrooms on every floor. Some residence hall rooms and bathroom facilities have already been adapted for wheelchair mobility. Other rooms or floor accommodations may be made for those who have other physical, medical, or learning disabilities.

All requests for special housing based on medical or disability needs must be placed with the Office of Disability Services. Severe allergies that cannot be managed with medication are the only types of allergies that may qualify for a special housing accommodation. For fall entrance, please submit the Application for Services for Students with Disabilities by June 1 and contact the Office of Disability Services at 585-475-2023 as early as possible to discuss your needs.