Virtual Private Network
Virtual Private Network
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is technology that is used to secure transmissions that travel across the open Internet.
RIT's VPN client lets you securely connect to the RIT campus network when you are not on campus but connected to a working internet connection.. An encrypted VPN tunnel will allow you to securely communicate with the RIT network. With our VPN service, your traffic is encrypted between RIT and your computer at home or another remote location.
VPN should not be used when your computer is connected in any way to the campus network.
An RIT VPN connection is required when accessing certain RIT Services and Applications from outside the campus network.
ITS Managed Computers
RIT-owned, ITS Managed Computers will have the Cisco AnyConnect VPN software already installed.
Using Cisco AnyConnect
Windows Computers: Using Cisco AnyConnect on a Windows Computer
macOS Computers: Using Cisco AnyConnect on a macOS Computer
Download the RIT VPN Client for Your Personal Computer
You must agree to the VPN Download Agreement in order to download and install this software on your personal computer. Log in with your RIT Computer Account credentials to view and agree to these terms.
After you accept the agreement, you will be able to download the VPN software for your personal Windows or Mac computer.
ITS does provide “as-is” downloads in the special case of Linux. Otherwise, ITS considers distributions of the Linux operating system unsupported for the VPN service.
How to connect to VPN using Cisco AnyConnect Client
- Launch the Cisco AnyConnect client from your start menu by opening your start menu and scrolling to the Cisco folder, clicking on the folder, and then finally clicking the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client application. You may also open the start menu and start typing "cisco" and it'll show up if installed.
- Once launched you should see
- If your Server name field does not have vpn.rit.edu pre-populated, type that in that field now.
- Once you do that, click connect, you should be prompted with an RIT Login window. Here you'll enter your RIT computer account username and password and then click OK
- You should now be connected, you'll receive a bubble notification stating that you're connected. You can also confirm your connection status by hovering your cursor over the AnyConnect icon in your Windows system tray or by double-clicking on said icon
Instructions for macOS
- On your Mac, click the Spotlight icon in the upper-right corner of the menu bar, or press Command-Space bar.
- Search for anyconnect. Press Return to open.
- When prompted, enter vpn.rit.edu in the blank field. Press Return or click Connect.
- When prompted, enter your RIT Computer Account and Password.
- After successfully connecting, you should be able to access RIT resources that require VPN from off-campus. You should see the lock badge on the AnyConnect icon