The English Language Center offers specialized courses to undergraduate students in preparation for university study.
The English Language Center offers full-time programs of intensive English language courses and academic English language courses. Students in the English Language Center have opportunities to receive their language training at an American research university.
ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS FOR ENGLISH
- RIT may require certain English courses based on a student’s standardized international English test score (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE-Academic) in order to meet minimum RIT admission requirements
- RIT will require a student to take the RIT English proficiency test(s) if standardized test scores are not conclusive
- Students must complete the language requirements in order to progress to degree study. Failure to complete language course requirements results in suspension from the RIT degree program.
- If you are not yet admitted to RIT and have questions about undergraduate enrollment, go to RIT International Student Admissions.
You can apply to the English Language Center without applying to RIT. If you would like to apply to the English Language Center, you can apply here.
PLAN FOR YOUR DEGREE STUDY / COMPLETE ENGLISH REQUIREMENTS
- Students who are accepted to undergraduate degree programs with conditions for English may contact the English Language Center to learn about placement based on standardized test score (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE).
- Some students may be able to complete many or all English requirements in the English Language Center summer term before the academic year.
- Students who begin the Fall semester with a significant number of English course requirements in a fall term may need to plan to take English and general education courses in their first year. Many RIT major program require several courses in the Fall. Students with significant English requirements may not be able to complete both English and freshman courses in the major at the same time.
- English requirements are completed when a student finishes courses at the Academic English level with a 2.7 GPA in Writing/Reading and an overall 2.7 GPA in English.
STUDENT STATUS AND RIT TUITION
English Language Center courses are zero-credit. All English Language Center courses and course grades appear on official RIT transcripts. There is an educational fee for all ELC courses. The fee is lower than RIT credit-hour cost.