In order to connect to a wired connect on the RIT network, the device MAC address will need to be registered on start.rit.edu. A MAC (media access control) address is a uniquie address assigned to a computers wired and wireless device by the manufacture. MAC address contain numbers and letters A-F and are formatted as FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. Below are the steps to connect to a wired connection. This process is for Desktop Computers with a web browser. Media devices such as XBOX,PS3, Apple TV please follow their instructions under Support menu. Manual Registration Click Here.
Connecting to the Wired Network
- Connect your device to a blue data jack* in your room with an ethernet cable
- Open a web browser and go to start.rit.edu
- On the left hand side, select "Register Computer" under Computer Resources
- Sign in with your RIT username and password
- Once signed in, you will be prompted to add a new device or add this connection to already registred device.
- Next you will need to provide a description of your device, what Operating System you are using, and you can customize your computers name on the network.
- Once complete, click "Register"
- Once this is complete, it may take up to 15 for the settings to take place. You will need to refresh your DHCP lease. This can be easily preformed by restarting the machine.