The General Education Committee shall study the general education curriculum and general education course proposals from a university-wide perspective and maintain appropriate inter-college relationships with regard to general education matters. The committee will: assure that there is on-going monitoring and assessment of the general education curriculum; assure that there is an on-going review of the general education curriculum to determine any need for modification; consult with the ICC regarding procedures needed to initiate, review and approve a curriculum modification proposal; review proposed courses for inclusion in the general education curriculum; assure the maintenance and up-keep of a data base of courses that are included as general education. The membership of the General Education Committee shall include: a faculty representative from each college to be elected by his or her collegial faculty who serves as a member of that college’s curriculum committee; one representative elected at large by the Academic Senate; one representative from the academic deans; the Chief Academic Officer or his or her delegate (ex-officio, voting); and the Director of Student Learning Outcomes and Assessment (ex-officio, non-voting).
This committee is now a sub-committee under ICC and charges can be found under ICC.
Charges for AY2020
- Locate outdated references to Gen Ed/Immersion information on the RIT website and contact the owners about updating or removing the content.
- Using results from the General Education Course Audit, make recommendations about ways to improve the student learning outcomes related to communication and critical thinking on all campuses.
- Propose to the Senate a revised version of Policy D01.4 that provides clarity on what the Perspectives are and what criteria are used to determine if a course qualifies. Also consider whether, for the sake of greater student flexibility, a single course could count simultaneously as two Perspectives, or whether there should be a limit on how many courses required for a student’s major could also count as a Perspective.
- Per D1.0, review general education (GE) courses learning outcomes and assessment.
- Audit/review of GE student learning outcomes and courses.
- Request that GEC review the results from the General Education Course Audit and make recommendations if appropriate.