September 23 – 26, 2020
Applications are currently being accepted through March 13, 2020.
Application portal opens
Application portal closes
Applications sent to Colleges for review by faculty
Applicants notified of decision
Deadline for applicants to accept offer
Participants to make travel arrangements and submit program materials
Program kicks off
Future Faculty Career Exploration Program
A rigorous four-day program designed for African American, Latino American, and Native American (AALANA) scholars and artists to experience a “behind the scenes” glimpse into life as a faculty member at the Rochester Institute of Technology. You’ll spend time learning from and networking with RIT administration, faculty and students, practicing your interview skills and job-talk presentation – while exploring the research, teaching and service expectations of RIT faculty.
This competitive, nation-wide search welcomes scholars from all disciplines offered at RIT. We encourage you to explore our colleges and departments to see how your research or artistic endeavors best fit into RIT. If chosen to participate, RIT will cover your transportation, lodging and meals for the duration of the program.
The Future Faculty Career Exploration Program is considered a best practice, and was one of the first faculty diversity and recruitment programs in the nation. Our longstanding history is due to the continuous institutional support of the President and Provost, and the divisions of Academic Affairs and Diversity & Inclusion.
- Attend networking receptions with RIT’s President, Provost, Deans, faculty, staff and students
- Present your research or art to faculty, department chairs and Deans
- Tour campus and the greater Rochester community
- Gain career development insight and advice from RIT faculty
- Learn about current and upcoming faculty positions
- Engage in one-on-one, panel and roundtable discussions about life in academia
- Receive feedback on your research or art, and job talk to improve your candidacy
- Take an all-expense-paid trip to Rochester, New York
Who Can Apply?Individuals who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- Able to contribute in meaningful ways to the RIT’s commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism and individual differences. We are primarily interested in applicants of African American, Latin American, American Indian or Alaskan Native descent, and others who are underrepresented and underserved in teaching professions at RIT.
- Advanced PhD (ABD status) or MFA candidates, postdoctoral scholars or early-career faculty or researchers.
- Studying or researching in the discipline areas offered at RIT.
- Desire a rewarding academic teaching and research career at an exceptional institution.
- Able to travel to Rochester, New York, for the duration of the program.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover letter: express your interest in FFCEP, and desire for a career in the professoriate. MFA applicants should include a link to their online portfolio.
- Diversity Statement: describe your commitment to diversity and inclusion throughout your academic career.
- Artistic or Research Statement: summary of current research or artistic endeavors and/or proposal for upcoming work.
- Teaching Statement: summary of the guiding principle(s) that inform your pedagogical approach & style.
For more information on crafting a compelling application see our Twitter Q&A.
Day 1 – travel day, meet and greet with participants, job talk pointers
Day 2 – RIT community welcome breakfast, host department activities, panel discussions on faulty support, diversity and student body
Day 3 – Host department activities, panel discussions on faculty life, dinner with RIT administration and community members
Day 4 – Conclude program with a tour of the greater Rochester area, lunch with cohort, departure travel
If you have a question on the program or submission process please contact Lorraine Stinebiser at 585-475-5775 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.