Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Site-wide links

Transfer Credit

The Basics

RIT awards transfer credit for courses completed at other regionally accredited colleges and universities only. Transfer credit at the undergraduate level will only be granted for course work completed with a grade of "C" or above (see RIT Grades policy: There is no limit on the number of credit hours that can be awarded, however, a recipient of a two-year associate degree cannot receive more than 60 semester credits for that degree. Regardless of the total amount of transfer credit awarded, a minimum of 30 semester credit hours needs to be completed at RIT in the college granting the degree for Associate and Baccalaureate degree candidates.

An undergraduate student's year level is determined by the number of credit hours the student has earned, including transfer credit, according to the scale below.

Year Level1-4 Year Programs5 Year Programs
10 - 260 - 26
227 - 5527 - 55
356 - 8456 - 75
485 and above76 - 95
5 96 and above

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Who makes the admission decision?
    Admission decisions on undergraduate applicants are made by the Admissions staff in consultation with the college concerned.

  2. Who evaluates my transfer credit?
    Transfer credit is evaluated by the academic school or department in question and the College of Liberal Arts. Official transcripts from each college or university previously attended must be sent to the RIT Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

  3. My previous university gave Pass/Fail and Credit/No Credit grades. Will RIT accept courses with these grades?
    If the other university's academic policy specifies that Pass or Credit is equivalent to the letter grade of C or above, we will review the course for possible transfer credit.

  4. Will the GPA from my previous university appear on my RIT transcript?
    No. We do not record GPA information from other universities.

  5. At my previous university, I received credit for a course through "Credit by Examination". Can I get transfer credit for this course at RIT?
    It depends. Your performance on standardized exams, such as AP, CLEP, etc. will be re-evaluated by RIT. Often these exams will generate a similar credit award to what your previous university awarded. Courses that appear as Credit by Exam on your transcript that are for non-standardized exams (e.g., exams created by your university) are not eligible for credit.

    The reason for this is that every school has different academic standards. We have no way of knowing what material your former school used to award credit.

Regional Accrediting Agencies

There are various accrediting agencies and associations that deal with vocational, technical and professional schools. RIT, however, only awards credit from schools that are regionally accredited. The list of regional accrediting agencies appears below.

Middle State Association of Colleges and Schools
Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands

New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Higher Learning Commission (formerly North Central Association of Colleges and Schools)
Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia

Western Association of Schools and Colleges
California, Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Palau