Educating students and teachers on environmental sustainability
NYSP2I has a vision of fostering the transformation and development of sustainable businesses and organizations in New York State in a collaborative program committed to making the State a leader in environmental stewardship.
“NYSP2I conducted a thorough review of our current practices and in turn, provided us with valuable recommendations to reduce our environmental impact and to promote sustainability. As a result, we have made a significant policy, purchasing and behavioral changes that have significantly reduced our environmental footprint.”
NYSP2I conducted a Sustainability Assessment at Sargent Elementary School (Sargent Elementary) for the Beacon City School District (BCSD) as part of a pilot program for a new K-12 initiative focused on New York State Schools creating a safer environment for students and teachers.
The NYSP2I team utilized an assessment tool that evaluated the school's sustainability practices, including waste management, water and chemical usage, and procurement practices. Based on the information gathered, a baseline was developed to help identify opportunities for improvement at the school.
The work performed by NYSP2I highlights the positive benefits of reducing environmental impacts which will ultimately save on budget spending and the long term effects on students, faculty, and communities. NYSP2I's suggestions were as follows:
- continue to purchase WaterSense labeled products to provide water efficiency
- use certified green cleaning products
- use tools provided through New York State's Executive Order 4 (EO4)
- create a district-wide recycling policy
- reduce styrofoam used for food and beverage consumption
- work with Waste Management to implement food waste collection bins in cafeteria