University Communications uses a variety of methods to share news. How, when and where news will be shared with the media is at the discretion of University Communications staff and the Chief Communications Officer. While there are no absolute rules, here are some guidelines University Communications uses to make those determinations:
- News releases: Information will be issued to the media only if it is deemed to be of general public interest or promoting a significant RIT initiative. Speakers, for instance, must be highly visible or widely recognized, or appearing on campus as part of a signature university event. Events to be promoted must be open to the public. All public/media releases pertaining to university students, faculty, staff, and programs will be drafted and distributed by University Communications.
RITmail, RIT’s internal communication system, allows the sender to better tailor messages for simplified communications across multiple constituencies, and:
- Reduce the number of email messages sent to students, faculty, and staff
- Integrate with the RIT Events Calendar and allow users to set alerts such as daily or weekly email updates highlighting new additions to the event calendar
- Customize: Categories will allow users to opt-in or opt-out of receiving information.
If you have questions about the RITmail system, please check the Guide and Resources link for answers.
- News and Events: This electronic newsletter is by subscription, and is sent to both the RIT community and subscribed others in the general public. Inclusion is at the discretion of University Communications. Anyone wanting information included in News and Events should contact the University Communications staff person who works with their college/area/program.
- Social media: RIT has university presence on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram. To have information shared on RIT’s primary social media channels, contact Social Media Director Dave Tyler.
- RIT Publications: The University Magazine comes out twice a year and is circulated to more than 150,000 people, including alumni. The President's Annual Report is published once a year. To suggest a story in either publication, contact Mindy Mozer, director of content strategy.