Having a strong password is increasingly important. Weak passwords can be "guessed" or "cracked" using free software available online, allowing unauthorized access that can result in identity crimes, extortion, or damage to reputation through the disclosure of sensitive or private information (yours and RIT's). Choosing a strong password and changing it regularly are two of the most important things you can do to protect yourself online. Follow the password standard and subscribe to our social media outlets for password tips and tricks!
- Be at least 8 characters long (a longer passphrase is preferred)
- Use both upper and lower case letters and at least one number, and one special character
- We suggest putting numbers and special characters in the middle of the password, not at the beginning or end
- Change it annually (at a minimum)
- DO NOT use your username
- DO NOT reuse for at least six changes of password
NOTE: These are minimum standards. Please review our password advice by visiting Creating Strong Passwords!