How can I protect myself against ransomware?
Here are the main ways to protect yourself against ransomware:
- Preparation - back up your information regularly. Once a ransomware attack occurs, it's too late to recover the encrypted information. Your information may be lost permanently. Here is more information on backing up your data.
- Identification. Learn to identify phishing email and malicious pop-ups.
- Don't do day-to-day work using an administrator account. Successful ransomware attacks will have the same permissions that you have when working. If you're not using an account with administrator privileges, the initial attack may be foiled.
What do I do if I think I'm infected with ransomware?
- Report the ransomware attack to the RIT Service Center immediately.
- Isolate or shut down the infected computer.
- If you're on Wi-Fi, turn off the Wi-Fi.
- Unplug from the network if you have a plugged connection.